Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soaker hose questions

Posted by gardeningannie 06 (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 20:57

After spending years of my life either holding or dragging a garden hose, I finally decided to invest in some soaker hoses. Bought some highly rated ones from Amazon and laid 100' today. They look nice, went down with ease and water ooozes beautifully, but I do have 3 questions for my GW family . . . .

Question 1: Is placing a shallow container (tuna tin) under a section of hose to determine how long it takes to fill it the best way to determine proper watering time? I would think an inch of water wouldn't begin to be enough for most shrubs and trees ? How long do you run yours and how did you come up with this?

Question 2: In searching for the above answer, I ran across several websites saying I should have (by law !) installed a backflow preventer to keep hose water from backing up into my drinking water line. Is this true ???

Question 3: Same sources also said a pressure regulator is a 'must' so you don't blow your hoses. I barely turned the faucet and watched as water slowly began to seep all the way to the capped end, then ran it like this for 2 hours without issue. Was luck with me and is 'common sense' a suitable substitute for a pressure regulator or is this something I really should invest in?

Thanks in advance for your comments ~ annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soaker hose questions

gig,

1. If you were running sprinklers on a lawn yes. This is called a water audit. Drip is different. It applies water in a plume shape to get to the roots. This plume shape is directly proportional to your soil type. Sand has move movement downward than out ward. Clay has finer particles and has more outward than down ward. Place a small pipe in the ground close to the plant about 12" deep Water for a period and stick something down the pipe and see if there is moist soil at the bottom. If the plume is not at the bottom then run a longer period and add the time to the first. Give it plenty of time to percolate through the soil. If you wanted to map the plume then place several pipes at distances from your plants. This is a drip water audit. Let us know how it goes. Aloha

o
RE: Soaker hose questions

gig,

Sorry I didn't answer the last to questions.
2. In most municipal water districts the backflow preventer is required. Check with whoever supplies you with water.

3. This is a yes also. Find out what pressure your hoses are rated for and buy a PR for that rating. If you can't find you range use a 15 or 20 psi PR. Then you don't have to use your hose bib as one but constricting the flow manually. Your watering will be much more consistent. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here