Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to water after a week of rain?

Posted by maxlife92 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 20:58

It has been raining almost everyday this week on and off and the veggies are doing great. I am going out of town Sunday morning for one week and have my grandpa taking care of the garden for me while I am gone. I need to give him very specific instructions ( what day to water, how long) with the soaker hoses. I am new to gardening and this is the first time it has rained since I planted about a month ago. What do you suggest I tell him for the watering while I am gone? Should I just continue watering every other day for an hour granite it does not rain? Or does the moisture from this weeks rain sit in the raised bed for a while?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to water after a week of rain?

max,

It really depends on your soil type. Clay soils stay wetter longer and sandy soils dry faster. You need to watch how wet or dry your soil is after one day of irrigation. If every other day watering has been beneficial to your plants, then that is what you tell your Grandpa skip one day if it rains. If you water every other day at this time of year your soil is probably pretty sandy and drains well. Make sure you let your Grandpa share in your garden bounty for all his hard work. Good Luck Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here