Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jukes23

running sprinkler pump and jet pump on same well

jukes23
13 years ago

Hi,

I am in the process of replacing my lawn and installing a new sprinkler system. I have a deep water well (60 feet) that provides over 30gpm. This well serves as my primary water source for my house. I currently have a 1/2HP jet pump that fills up an aeration tank (I have sulfur in my water) by drawing the water from the well. Afterwards, the water in softened and delivered througout the house with another pump.

So now comes my question. Will I have problems adding a T-Fixture to my well coupler so that my house pump and sprinkler pump can share the same water source? Logically, I cant imagine it would, but figure I would ask before I go down this path.

Thanks,

JB

Comments (8)

• lehua49
    13 years ago

JB,

Describe your layout of your system in relation to your tank and house. What is the working pressure of your tank(psi range). Where in the system is this well coupler? Describe the well coupler in more detail. Is this tee going to be located before your tank or after? Aloha

• jukes23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. A little about my current setup. My wellhead (2 inch I believe) is located in my front yard, approximately 75 feet or so from my jet pump (pump that fills up the sulphur aeration tank). It has an brass anti-siphon (I think that is what it is) fitting (this is what I am calling the coupler) connected to it on the end closest to the jet pump.
    When you start talking about the pressure of my tank, I assume you mean the pressure tank inside my garage. My initial thought was to bypass the house plumbing altogether and just use the sprinkler pump.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

J,
    Thanks for the added info. An observation and some more questions.
    The set up you describe is normally with a backflow preventer or a foot valve both work to keep water in the lines so the pump doesn't have to work to refill the lines. The pressure tank is usually to provide a stable range of pressure for the varied off and on demand of house usage. The pump fills the tank when the minimum pressure is reached as water and pressure are used up from the house.

Questions:
    1. Is the tank just for treating the sulfur or is also to provide enough storage and pressure so the pump is not cycling off and on frequently?
    2. The pressure in the tank regulates the pressure in the house. What pressure limits is your tank set at? example is the pump come on when pressure in the tank drops to 40 psi and runs until pressure rises to 70 psi then turns off.
    3. The pumps direct pressure to the tank may be higher than the upper limit of the tank to provide a quicker fill. To design your irrigation system you have to decide to take water off before or after the tank. Which is easier to do and less expensive for you?
    4. Do you know the pumps pressure and flow rating?
    5. Did you have someone install your well and pump?

We are getting to the bottom of this, I promise. Aloha

• jukes23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lehua13,
    Thank you for the help. I appologize, the system does have a backflow preventer (I think that is what I was calling an anti-siphon valve). Now to answer your questions

1. I would say its both for extra storage as well as aerate out the sulphur smell. The jet pump (fills the aeration tank) sits outside, while my other pump (what I call the house pump) sits inside. It pumps water from the aeration tank, through the water softener and then to the faucets inside the house. As water gets used in the house, the house pump pulls water from the aeration tank. there are floats in the aeration tank that kick the jet pump on to fill the aeration tank.
    2. The pressure limits for the house is set to 52psi (max) and 37psi (low).
    3. I would say that taking water off BEFORE it enters the house would be easier and less expensive.
    4. What pump are you referring to?
    5. Yes, the well and pumps were installed before I moved in.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

j,

What capacity(gal) is your tank that is filled by the well?
    What amount of water to you need for irrigation(this can be calculated)?

If you have the tee connection between the house tank and the well tank you need to have the capacity for the irrigation amount(gal) and a backflow preventer after the tee not to suck out of your house tank.

If you have the have the tee before the well tank, then you need a one way valve after the tee to not suck out of your well tank. The irrigation would be run from your well pump which I am sure has more pressure than 52 psi and you would need to know the flow rate and pressure rate from your well pump to design your irrigation system. This should be found on the pump itself along with voltage, amps etc.

Do you know how deep your well is? What the elevation difference from the well head to the well tank?

Do you have your irrigation system installed?

Aloha

• jukes23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lehua13,

the aeration tank is probably 100-150 gallons. My thought is to bypass the house system altogether.
    My thought on the design (which is really going to be short term until I get another well installed, probably 2-3 months). Is as follows:
    1 Install a T fitting on the brass backflow preventer.
    2. On the left side of the T, I will put the irrigation pump. Between the T and the pump, I will install check valve. This should prevent the house pump from drawing water/air from the irrigation system.
    3. on the right side fo the T, I will put the house/jet pump. Between the T and the pump, I will install check valve. This should prevent the irrigation pump from drawing down the water from the house tank.

I realize that with this design there could be contention should somebody in the house decides to take a shower from 4-6 am.
    Am I missing anything in this design?
    I talked with a pump supply company today and they suggested that I go with a 1hp pump as it should provide enough pressure for my system.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

J,

I have the feeling that there is a communication gap going on here. With that said I would recommend you talk your plan over with a local irrigation or landscaping contractor to work out what you want to do. I am sure your idea is perfectly fine. He will ask somewhat the same questions I have asked but he can find out things for you and get the answers to his own questions. He can provide you with a temporary and a permanent system, add a irrigation pump if needed and drill another well, install the pump and fittings for the permanent system. JMHO Aloha.

• HU-6062802
    8 months ago

all those questions and the answer was : "talk to a contractor"??!! what a punk!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler