Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hay_dave_gw

Drip Line Pressure Problems

hay_dave
13 years ago

I'm trying to set up a drip system for our vegetable garden, but seem to be having problems. The drip tubing I'm using is behaving more like a sprinkler than a drip line.

I bought a roll of 1/4" drip line with emitters spaced 6" and a flow rate of .9 GPH at 25 PSI. I attached this to some 1/2" distribution tubing and the 1/2" tubing is attached to the house using an Orbit 3-in-1 Drip Faucet Adapter (pressure regulator and filter [http://www.orbitirrigation.com/products/Manifolds%20and%20Adapters/03/22/22/303/]) which claims to reduce the pressure to 20 PSI.

When I turn on the faucet, water sprays out of the drip holes in a fine stream. I expected the water to slowly bubble out, as I've seen when using normal 1 GPH drip emitters I've used elsewhere in the yard.

Am I using the wrong pressure reducer? I don't think it's faulty tubing, as all three rolls I bought have the same problem. Thoughts on what to look at next?

Thanks!

David

Comments (11)

• hay_dave
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can certainly try measuring the flow rate as you suggest. However I have to believe that something isn't working right. I have places where the water is shooting out of the holes in the drip line and watering something a few feet away...leaving no water next to the drip line. And since the line naturally wants to twist a little, I have some places where it's spraying down (which is fine), and other places where it's spraying into the air.

I'll look at getting a pressure gauge to see if the pressure is being reduced to the levels it should be.

Thanks!

• lehua49
    13 years ago

hey Dave,

I am almost sure the pressure is too high and your pressure regulator is not working. Your instinct are correct. But you need to find by how much or try a different regulator. Aloha

• twolips
    13 years ago

What about turning the water down at the spigot? Just barely turning it on.

• hay_dave
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've tried a couple of different pressure regulators with no discernible difference. However, they were both non-adjustable ones I picked up from one of the big box stores. Is the output of a pressure regulator in any way relative to the input pressure? I think we have pretty high water pressure at our house, so perhaps the regulator can't handle the incoming pressure?

Also, turning down the water at the spigot isn't really an option. We have our system hooked up to a automatic sprinkler system, so the water is either on or off...not much control at the valve.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

hey Dave,

It is very unusual not to have a main shut off before your automatic valves. That means you have to shut off the whole house to make a repair on your irrigation system. If that is the case have a plumber install a house type regulator before your auto valves and a shut off as well. It should not be that expensive because the plumber will easy accessibility for installation. The house type are adjustable. Make a tee with stub-out with hose bib(faucet) fitting or "quick-coupler" to be able to place a pressure gauge on your mainline to adjust/test your systems pressure. You can use the hose bib fitting for a higher pressure water source to clean stuff with. JMHO aloha

• twolips
    13 years ago

The pressure going into a pressure regulator, does make a difference. I see some that will only take up to 70 psi, and then some that will take more. DIG makes one that is adjustable, will take up to 125 psi and has 3/4 female pipe thread.

• scoop238_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi...
    The symptoms you have described here are related to the input water pressure into your line regulator being to high. When this occurs the regulator runs out of dynamic range and will produce and output pressure a few PSI below that of the input.

To properly select a line regulator you have to work backward from the drip line to the input source. Once the input flow rate exceeds the capacity of the drip line the line pressure will begin to rise proportionally toward the level of the input pressure. The regulator is meant to 'match' the two pressures but they must be within the capability/range of the regulator's dynamic range.

You mentioned that your non adjustable regulator was meant to produce an output of 20PSI when the input is 25PSI. This indicates that there is only 5PSI of dynamic range available which is not very much.

Determine the GPM rating of your drip line and note the pressure value that this level has been specified at and then add 5PSI to it. This will tell you the maximum input PSI you can have with that regulator.

Where you already have two regulators you may connect them in series and rather than using 5PSI use the sum of the two but in the end the input pressure cannot exceed the total sum of the regulators and drip line value. If it does you have to used a different regulator and I would suggest using one with a variable output so that you can dial in the right pressure for your set up

• Simran12
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing ! I was getting this problem from long time with my drip line and at last I got solution here. All Credits goes to you. Cheers Man !

Here is a link that might be useful: irrigation systems design

• Michael
    13 years ago

It's late and I may not be seeing it but: did anybody mention the flow rate of the drip line material and how many feet are being used, that has to be taken into account and it is easy to do so. I.E. drip lines are rated at a given number of GPM/given length @ a given PSI, I.E. 20 GPM/1000' @ 15 PSI. You don't want to blow up the drip line by over pressurizing it and usually want it to deliver the rate you want give or take a bit. Pressure regulators that I've used have all been rated at a given PSI within a given flow rate.

Think I'll leave it there, my eyes are getting fuzzy, great posts Lehua and Squirt.

• suprstock
    13 years ago

a brass regulator in the cost range of 50 - 100 dollars new, will bring you in to the ballpark . hope so cause i have the same prob. I found a used one for cheap, so i will try again this year . good luck with yours.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida