Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janineranne

Proper way to remove a drip line?

janiner
13 years ago

Hi,

I have a RainBird drip system that was installed by a professional (ie, not by me). The 1/4" lines are attached to EMT-6XERI outlet manifolds (link below).

The front patio has three drip lines - hanging baskets, rail baskets, and floor baskets - and this year I only want to use one. I asked the guy who installed it how I should remove the unneeded lines; he said to cut the tubing, bend it, and wrap with electrical tape. I did this but there was some leakage and it seemed kinda messy to me, so I decided there must be a better way. The thing came with caps, so I should be able to just replace them, right? :)

I ordered a couple of the same manifold from RainBird, and used the caps from those to plug the holes on the installed manifold (after removing the cut and folded tubing). Of course, they leak *way* worse than the folded line did. Clearly these aren't meant to be reusable, which is why RainBird doesn't sell them separately on their website. Doh!

I know the guy who put this in is a 'band aid and baling wire' kinda guy, so before I go cut some tubing and replace the folded-over ends, is there another better way to do this?

In case it matters, I will probably want to replace these lines at some point, so whatever I do needs to be reversible.

Thanks in advance!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: 6 Outlet Manifold

Comments (5)