Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johny_d

Small DIY hydoponics problems

johny_d
14 years ago

So I have a small, homemade DWC/drip system/aeroponic hybrid system that I'm using to grow a small yellow pepper and I've run into problems.

Recently I ran into some problems with root rot, and when I went to my local hydroponics store, they sold me some Dutch Master stuff to kill the algae and help reduce the rot. They also told me that my top drip system probably wasn't going to cut it, and that I should add some sprayers for the root zone.

Taking this info to heart, I run out to Home Depot, and buy some DIG fogger/mister so I can get some water to them roots. I hook two up (6-9GPH is the spec for said mister) to my 40GPH pump, that runs into an Aqua Shuttle drip system distributor thing. Problem is, my little misters do nothing but drip water!

Figuring my pump was just too weaksauce, I grab my 265GPH pump I have laying around, and throw that sucker in the basin. Same problem!!

At this point, I'm figuring it's the misters: crappy quality, bad batch  whatever. I run down, return the suckers and come back home, where I have some sprinkler/mister stakes that came with the Aqua Shuttle.

I throw THOSE in the container with the same 265GPH pump, they sputter, look like they're about to start working, and then it's right back down to drip stat again!!

Needless to say I'm quite frustrated at this point, because I would assume that 265GPH would be more than enough to shoot some water even 4 inches out of a little sprinkler head, but apparently I'm mistaken!!

If anybody has ANY insight or suggestions, they would be MUCH, much appreciated! I wanna get this little guy all grow'ed up!

Thanks guys :)

-Johnny D

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator