Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileendf

will capping off sprinkler head increase water pressure of system

Eileendf
10 years ago

I'm making a huge mess converting part of our sprinkler system into drip. I had a fully functional sprinkler system but decided to convert part of it to drip to save water. So I capped off some sprinkler heads and converted two into drip. I converted one with a riser connection kit (http://www.rainbird.com/homeowner/products/drip/RiserConnectionKit.htm), and the other with a simple manifold.
After that, I noticed that some problems appeared that could be due to having high water pressure, such as sprinkler misting/fogging. Tubing popped off from the one that was converted with the manifold once. The But just a moment ago, one sprinkler cap popped up, shooting high water stream into the sky, which made me decide to investigate. I was lucky that I saw it happen. So my question is, would I have increased water pressure to the system by capping off some of the sprinkler head? Or is it possible that I had high water pressure to begin with but just didn't notice it? How should I reduce the pressure?

I would really really appreciate any advices. I heard that converting sprinkler to drip is a simple DIY project, but now I regret that I had done it. I'm really scared that I might have messed up my sprinkler system, which may cause big problems such as pipes breaking/leaking in the near future.

Thank you very much!

Comments (4)