Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miamial_gw

Filtering Water for Drip System

miamial
12 years ago

So I set up a 5 zone drip system utilizing the old well/pump from the old sprinkler system that was long since destroyed (trees fell over in a Hurricane and ripped up pipe). Everything is generally fine.

Since we were having a hot, dry spring, and I was filling my fountain daily, I ran a small emitter into the fountain. For a few days, this was terrific, then it started to turn green, covered the fountain with algae, and the pump stopped running. I shut everything off to start cleaning, and I assumed that this was from switching from sterile city water to lively well water.

Is this water better for my plants (I assume so)? Is it going to create problems for the drip emitters? I have been considering installing one of those "natural sterilizing" pool filters between the sprinkler and the valves to sterilize the water, but if that's only an improvement for the fountain, I obviously don't want it.

I just want to be certain that I am doing the right thing for my plants, my fountain, and my drip system.

Each drip zone has that little mesh filter in it, just wondering if I should be screening the biological components first. Am I introducing weed seeds everywhere, or healthy bacteria to feed my plants?

Comments (3)