Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southbay_gw

Sprinkler leakage question

southbay
13 years ago

Hi, all

My sprinkler heads are leaky and I see the water all the time around the heads. I'd like to determine if the problem is on the heads or valve.

I did a few experiments/observations to see the better picture.

1. When I pop up the sprinkler head by hand(to make the way for the water to come out), the water comes out even though the valve isn't in operation.

2. The picture below is the valve I have(Lawn Genie). I screwed in the black thing just next to solenoid, and I saw less water around the heads a few hours later, but I still see a little water(a lot less though).

{{gwi:329488}}

3. I can hear subtle hiss noise looking like from water flow around the valve, but I have hard time to decide if it's from the valve or others(the main valve to the entire household is just next to the valve)

The question is..

Regarding #2, what is the round black thing just next to solenoid ? Is that manual shut-off valve ? Is that supposed to completely shut off the water flow if it gets screwed in or is slow leak normal ?

I'd also appreciate if you give me your thought on this case.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• homr
    13 years ago

That is your flow control handle. It limits how far the diaphragm is allowed to open. By turning it all the way down you can shut off the water supply to the zone. But, seeing that you turned it all the way down and it still leaks water to the heads that is confirming that there is something stuck between the diaphragm and seat within the valve or the diaphragm is just bad.

• southbay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks.

I have a few more questions.

Is it easy to disassemble the valve to see the condition of diaphragm and reassemble it ? How many parts are involved ?

if I decided to replace the valve, are 2 wires comming out of solenoid supposed to be connected to the wires to the timer in a certain way or it doesn't matter ?

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Hi sb,

Just unscrew the screws in the picture (and solenoid. Check the rubber diaphragm for damage and the rim for any debris. Clean everything up and reassemble carefully.

One wire of the solenoid goes to the colored wire that is the zone wire going to the terminal with that's zone number at the controller. The other wire goes to the white common wire that should be running along the valves. The white common wire goes to the common terminal in the controller forming the electric loop that is needed to complete the electric circuit with the solenoid. It doesn't matter which wire is the hot or common that is why the wires are both black color. Any wire connections outside the controller should be with waterproof electrical screw together connectors. JMHO again Aloha

• southbay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I decided to open the valve unit and replaced the diaphragm, spring, flow control handle and valve seat. Not sure if leakage through the valve is stopped at this moment, but I no longer hear the noise sounding like the water flow when the valve isn't in operation. I'll find out tomorrow.

One issue is when the valve goes into operation, I see some water shooting out through the gap between the bonnet and the body. I thought I carefully put the bonnet and screwed it down, but there seems to be some gap that water can go through at the below of solenoid. I'll open it tomorrow to see if I can do better, but in case if it still doesn't stop the leak, can I apply the thin layer of silicone sealant that comes in tube between the bonnet and body ?
    Any drawback with this idea ?

• homr
    13 years ago

not totally familiar with that valve, but there should be either a small "o" ring as part of the bonnet directly under the solenoid area or a seal will be part of the diaphragm in the same area. It seals the port that exhausts the water when the valve opens. Thats probably why you only see leakage when the valve is on. Hopefully you did not loose the "o" ring when you disassembled the valve. It's very tiny. There is no need to use silicone, as that would only act as a patch. Also , it could plug up one of the tiny ports. Disassemble, check the seal/diaphragm for proper location and put back together.

• southbay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your reply.

First, the leakage through the heads was fixed.

Regarding the water leak through the bonnet/body during the operation, you are absolutely right!!

I opened the valve unit again today and noticed a tiny O ring which should seal the hole right under the solenoid was missing. Looked like I dropped it yesterday and forgot to put it back. I took the O ring from a brand new valve I purchased for parts and filled the hole with it. No water leak through the bonnet/body any more while operating.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner