Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3/4" vs 1/2" Drip tubing

Posted by brian6464 4a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 0:09

I'm very new to drip irrigation. Is there any advantage to 3/4" drip tubing vs 1/2" for a small to medium sized residential setup? Is the width of required tubing strictly driven by water pressure?

With a 25psi regulator, is 1/2" sufficient?

Seems that 1/2" is the only thing I have seen in the big box stores.

There are so many options with emitters, sprinklers, fittings etc. The initial planning seems a little overwhelming.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3/4" vs 1/2" Drip tubing

What is your water pressure and gallons per minute..

How many zones do you plan on doing?

What is your Plant water requirement?

o

Thanks for the response. I'm in the initial stages of planning, so I don't have answers to your questions.

I'm just looking for general comments as to why someone would need 3/4" rather than 1/2"? I understand you can theoretically deliver more water in less time, but in drip watering that may not be the desired outcome. I assume there is a point where psi would require 3/4" rather than 1/2"?

The only thing I know for sure at this point is that I will have two separate runs off a splitter that go to opposite sides of my house. Each run will be no more than 100' total. It will strictly be drip for garden beds and 5 gallon buckets.

Others have suggested 1/2" since it is the most used. At what psi will fittings blow out of 1/2" but not 3/4"?

o

Big pipes like that are for very large areas. They need to be able to do a ton of watering at once, otherwise it would take all day to water.

It's all about how much water can pass through, not the PSI.

o

Hi,

here are some spreadsheets on pressure loss as well as max GPM the most commonly used piping types can withstand - http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/spreadsheets-for-calculating-pipe-pressure-loss/

I recommend exploring the whole site!

regards

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here