Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marganne_gw

Solve raised bed watering problem

marganne
11 years ago

Need to brainstorm to find good solution for watering raised-bed garden.

Parameters: Belongs to a non-profit (no money), located in a neighborhood where anything not locked down or put away at night disappears. Most of garden is in full sun all day. A few tomatoes, beans, squash. Many roses and bulbs, but most fairly drought-tolerant (geraniums, hollyhocks, lavender, crepe myrtle), located in Sacramento, CA so there are weeks where temps are in 90s to 100s.

For a better idea of the setup, follow this link to 2 albums on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/marganne09?sk=photos

Current watering system is very skilled volunteer-intensive. Have two long hoses on wheeled carriers. Each is attached to one (and only) spigot with a forked attachment. Place end of hoses with a trickle under plants for at least 10 minutes, then move over about 3 feet. Objective is to deep soak without watering pathways and parking lot.

Problems: Haven't found dependable volunteers to water efficiently without causing major damage or flooding. Full sun and heat starts early in a.m. limiting when watering can be done. Summer heat often last until after 8 pm. Center closes by 5 or 6 pm. Takes about 2.5 to 3 hours to soak most of the garden.

If I'm watering, I come around 3 or 4 pm and stay in limited shade in between moving hose placement. There's one other person who consistently waters Fridays, although she creates mud puddles and also waters the parking lot. So we're getting by with twice a week, sometimes a little more for the veggies. Very soon, some parts of the garden will need more than that.

Spending all my time just watering isn't much fun. I hope to come in one morning a week to tend a central courtyard. I'd like to keep up in the main garden with trimming, deadheading and weeding, but keeping things alive via watering is the priority for limited resources.

I used to garden there early in morning 4 days a week, but can't physically do that now. Center staff can't come out frequently and readjust placement of soaker hose, trickle hose, or sprinkler. No money to 'install' drip/timed system that wouldn't be vandalized or that is easily put out and gathered up every day. Even using hoses with and moving them frequently creates a bit of a tripping hazard for the disabled clients who use the center.

Someone else MUST have faced this set of circumstances and found choices -- some which worked better than others. Or perhaps this has been discussed here before and someone can point me to the conversation? Appreciate feedback.

Cheers!

Marganne

Comments (6)

• twolips
    11 years ago

Your page is private, we can't see the photos.

• lehua49
    11 years ago

marg,

Do you know the flow rate and pressure for your hose bib source? Have you ever heard of flood irrigation? Would you be interested in learning more about this type of irrigation? It is not the most efficient system especially compared to drip and hand watering but it may fit your parameter limits better. It will save you time. Do you know how to find your flow rate and pressure? Aloha

• marganne
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry ... didn't get the correct link so everyone can see the before and after pix. These 'should' work...

As it looked in 2009
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151833652960511.859879.719735510&type=3&l=781b2f52a2

Here is a link that might be useful: current garden view

• marganne
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response. No, I don't know the flow rate and pressure for the hose bib source. (What's a hose bib source?) No, I don't know how to find my flow rate and pressure...is there a simple way to do this? How will it relate to watering of the small, individual, raised beds?

Ah HA! Looked this up online. What I'm doing now is called surface (or flood) irrigation? Recently I dug small furrows around some of the vegetables and a crepe myrtle planted in the same bed. The tree wasn't getting sufficient deep watering (roots moving to surface). I figured it's easier for a volunteer to stick the hose in one place by the veggies and have it fill up the furrows to all the veggies.

Is this what you mean? Have you checked out the garden photos?

Cheers!
    Marganne

• lehua49
    11 years ago

marg,

yup. Very nice garden. The hose bib is the spigot source. Fill up a 5-gal bucket with the hose and time the fill. Calculate your gallons per minute flow rate. To get pressure, you attach a pressure gauge that you buy at any hardware store for about $15. Screw it on your spigot and read the pressure. The flow rate is good to know how may gallons you are putting into the raised garden and run a timer to get the required gallons. Correct about flood irrigation. You berm up the entire raised garden areas and apply water as if it was a bathtub. You need to apply about 1" of water depth in the trough each week. Hot weather apply more. This method also give your plants deeper roots to weather infrequent dry times better. Are the pathways between planters concrete or decomposed granite. You might think about running your one spigot to a spigot riser in each bed. Then you can put a battery timer on each spigot for auto flood irrigation. Only works if the pathway are a permanent rigid surface. JMHO Aloha

• twolips
    11 years ago

Ahhhh, beautiful gardens! Look like you have you have your answer now? Using flood irrigation.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus