Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierdoc_gw

Home Vineyard Drip Irrigiation Questions

hoosierdoc
15 years ago

I'm putting in a vineyard with 57 vines to start with (nice round number). There will be 7 rows with 9 plants each, spaced at 7' along the rows. I want to run a drip irrigation system down each row, connecting to a single pipe that runs perpendicular across the front of the rows. I am brand new to irrigation but have read one of the Lowe's books on it.

Questions I have:

1) Do I bury PVC pipe perpendicular across the rows to serve as the main distribution line, then run the drip lines vertically to the desired height, then horizontally down the rows?

2) What flow rates should I look for on a grape vine? It's sandy soil. I know... higher rate = less watering time...

3) We won't have an integrated irrigation system for several months, so can I just run a hose to the end of the buried PVC pipe and run it that way? We're going to have a 1.5hp variable-speed well pump so there'll be plenty of water and pressure to get it done.

My final goal is to tie this in as a separate zone in a complete automated sprinkler system. I'd appreciate any suggestions! The vines get planted Thursday.

Comments (3)