Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to flush out sprinkler system?

Posted by rank543 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 2:50

What is the best way to flush out a sprinkler system. I am replacing my valves and want a clean start. I have seven zones on a deep well. Should I do each head or just the furthest one. Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to flush out sprinkler system?

Hi rank,

Of course to be sure, remove all heads in each zone and turn the water on in that zone. Flush until you see clean water from the farthest head. Hopefully you have good pressure so water makes it to the last head. If you don't have enough pressure to flush all your heads, then start replacing closest heads as they become clean. It is probably easier to just remove the last head and flush until clean and deal with individual heads that show spray pattern problems. Good luck. Aloha

o

Thanks Lehua, I'll try the furthest one away first. My biggest problem is I have to dig out the heads to gain access to the filters. Then the debris and sand flows back into the pipe when the immediate area floods out. I have use a threaded riser to keep the debris out. I wish there was an easier way.

o

Hi rank,

I don't know the type of you sprinkler you have, the filter is usually just below the screw-on nozzle. Try removing the whole head and screw in a threaded nipple with 90 degree bend attached to another nipple that flushes water away from your hole. That might work and it would be easy to make and install. Aloha.

o

Thanks Lehua, I'll try that. The hardest part is working in the Florida sun and humidity. I should've done it in the winter. Take care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here