Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artferrara

Found a leak

artferrara
11 years ago

I turned on my system and started checking all of the zones and noticed I was getting low pressure to all of the heads that would pop up and also have four or five heads that wouldn't shut off no matter what zone I programmed the controller to run. I assumed the first problem was due to a leak somewhere and after reading I learned (I think) that the second issue is probably the same reason, not enough pressure to close?

I walked in my back yard and noticed a small geyser coming up from the ground. Thought I was Jed Clampett for a minute but unfortunately it was water and not oil :)

I dug up a spot of turf around the area that was spurting water and found the end of a pipe/tubing that I assume is a feed line to the heads in the back yard or side yard it butts up to. The tube is capped off and about three or four inches below there is a hole in the tube.

To fix it I plan to cut the tube a couple inches below the hole and cap it just by moving the cap from where it is now down to where my new end will be. There is another tub right next to it and it's also capped the same way and is holding water just fine. These caps are inserted into the tube and then have a standard hose clamp securing it.

My main question is about that cap. I was expecting PVC pipe but its actually more like PVC tubing? Sort of flexible tubing but still pretty rigid stuff. I am wondering if I am supposed to use any kind of adhesive like I would if I repaired or installed a piece of PVC pipe, or, is the cap and hose clamp typical?

If I could have validation that this issue could cause both symptoms I described that would be great as well.

Best regards,

Art

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!