Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sage63_gw

Soaker Hoses & Overwatering?

sage63
17 years ago

Landscape newbie here with some basic watering questions for you. I just installed some new landscape beds and want to keep our investment alive!!

I know that this probably won't be enough information but I am trying to determine if I am watering properly with my newly installed soaker hoses. I set a timer to have them water my newly landscaped beds for 1 hour/every 3rd day. Some of my "blue" hostas are looking kind of yellow and I am wondering if I am watering too much. The soil is a mix of new topsoil that is more on the sandy side mixed with the clay-based soil that we had already and then I added some organic growers mix to that when planting. The beds are raised and this morning I noticed when it started watering that water was running out of the bed into the yard so I turned it off thinking that the ground in the bed was already saturated. I checked around the base of a hosta and it had water standing around it. (The hose had run for approx 20 min.) Should I water more often and less time or same schedule for less time (like 45 min) or should I just water "as needed" and forget using a timer?

Comments (3)