Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iagarden

New irrigation system, what mistakes to avoid?

iagarden
17 years ago

I'm getting a irrigation system priced for my 1/4 acre in zone 5, KBG turf.

I have some veggie beds and I'm planning a number of additional beds around the house. Iwould want to put those on another zone and use drip if possible.

My question is, what mistakes should I avoid and how can I plan for changes in my landscape?

Is there any components to avoid? Any layout mistakes I should watch out for?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (5)

• oldfarmer
    17 years ago

A lot of people will disagree with me but I would avoid an irrigation "system" entirely. I have had an underground system and I'll tell you the most depressing thing in the world is to sit down with a cold beer after a hard day and look at a stuck sprinkler head. A quarter acre is easily covered by a garden hose and a travelling sprinkler. My advice is to use KISS technology. Keep It Simple Stupid :) No offense intended.

• mrpike
    17 years ago

Install good heads, and you will run out of beer long before one gets stuck.

• steve_l
    17 years ago

Irrigation systems are awesome! I can deal with replacing a head every 3 or 4 years, making the 10 minute and $12 investment. Make sure there aren't too many heads on each zone. Many of my neighbors' systems, installed by the same "professional", have way too many heads on each zone. The result is low gallon nozzles in each head - the heads are misting the lawn not watering it (a lot of the water seems to float away). I like at least 3 gallon nozzles in each head which typically means around 3 or 4 rotor heads on each zone.

• mrpike
    17 years ago

Adding the flower and veggie beds on separate zones will add to the cost of the system for sure.

Put in what you can afford now for the turf. Have your contractor add a few extra valves in the valve boxes, with a short length of pipe to a king drain (they will know what that is). This way, you can add zones to these extentions without disturbing your valve boxes again with a simple coupling.

For vegatable gardens, add a separate zone to a quick coupler. You then attatch a hose or sprinkler to this coupler. This will allow for better placement, and you can rototil without damaging anything. It can be run automatically or manually from the clock.

Use Weathermatic, Rainbird or K-Rain products. They are the best in my opinion, and I put them in for a living.

• mchristensen
    17 years ago

RE: oldfarmer == I'm to late for this post but I have got to chime in. Your questions have been answered.

As to oldfarmers' remarks, I believe and adhere to the kiss method. However, it is obvious that there is to much beer consumtion going on here. Manual watering is a waste of time, water and money. Manual watering will not provide a high quality great looking lawn. Sprinkler head problems will never be as time consuming as manual watering.

These are the facts and you can "take it to the bank" or "carve it in stone" whatever. And if you get the chance smack oldfarmer upside the head with a 2x4. His advise is ridiculous AT BEST. The worst I,ve come across at gardenweb.

boosterpumptech

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?