Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
24hr Soaker Hose Irrigation for a Month While Away?

Posted by whiteRhino 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 10:49

Hey everyone,

I'm headed out of town for the month of July and am having a hard time finding a neighborhood punk to water our raised beds while we're gone. Our summer sun here is brutal, if you haven't watered by noon your plants are almost good as dead.

Considering that, I was thinking about just leaving running a soaker hose system for the month while we're gone, and having someone swing by every couple of days to check on things. Is this feasible, or do I need a shutoff timer?

Thanks for any insight!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 24hr Soaker Hose Irrigation for a Month While Away?

wr,

It is feasible. I would find out your systems pressure and install an inline pressure regulator. Regulate the pressure to about 15 psi thru the soaker hose(reduce chance of hose bursting). The other item to check is your soil type. If it is clay versus sandy soil. If it is sandy you would have a problem of water moving thru the soil to reach all the roots. Clay would wet a larger area from the soaker. A timer would be the ideal way, but leaving the hose on continually at a small rate would be okay. The rate needs to be very low for continuous flow. You should do some trial & error practice now to determine the rate you want. JMHO Aloha

o

Why not just go ahead and buy the timer? They are pretty cheap and you would never have to worry again, you could even use it all the time from then on.

o

When I ran a soaker continuously while out of town my water bill almost caused a family issue. A timer that runs on batteries served me fine for longer than the life of the soaker,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here