Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delprete_gw

T-tape vs. soaker hose

delprete
13 years ago

I had asked a question about soaker hose recommendations a few days ago and I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with T-tape for irrigation so I can make a comparative selection.

Its a 10 mil drip tape that drips every 8" and is rated at 20gph/100'

Seems that its quite a bit less expensive than soaker hose, and I'm wondering what the pros and cons of each compared to one another might be.

I know that the soaker hose is rated at up to 5 years use depending on water quality etc. Can I expect the T-tape to outperform this time frame? That would definitely be a consideration. Thanks, Daniel

Comments (9)

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Del,

What is the flow (gph) for the soaker hose? What is the design pressure so that the T-Tape will emit 20 gph/100 ft. Usually the flow rate is for a certain pressure. What is your systems pressure? Aloha

• delprete
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The soaker hose is rated at 20 gph and the pressure regulator that comes with the "kit" is 30psi.

The T-Tape "kit" comes with a 10psi regulator.

My system is a bit out of the ordinary. I'm on a private well and my pressure tank is set at 30-50 psi with a 25 gallon draw-down between cycles. Once my pump kicks on (and I've completely drawn down my tank)I'm only pushing 1.5 gpm. I'm looking at soaker or T-Tape irrigation systems because I need to irrigate slowly over longer periods based on my water system capabilities. I'm wondering if T-Tape will outlast soaker hose by any significant amount of time. Hate to invest in the large quantity of hose that I'll need only to have to replace it after a few years.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

delete,

T-Tape will outlast soaker hose if it does not have pressure compensated emitters. Since you have a pressure regulator this should not be a problem. Drip tape can be better controlled for what you described. The soaker hose is rated 20 gph per foot of hose or length of hose? What type of soil do you have in your garden? Aloha

• delprete
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The soaker hose is rated at 20 gph per 100' as is the drip tape.

My garden soil is quite sandy, so regular watering is critical during periods of no rainfall.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Del,

You will not be as efficient with drip in sandy soil. If you add compost the plume spread of the water would be better. Sandy soil you just have to water longer to get the water to the plant roots. Experiment and see what it takes before planting.

• delprete
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh I'm planted already - been building up and using this garden for a few years now but always struggling with irrigation - I'm in a fairly rainy area so I can generally get through the dry spells ok. I'd just like to establish a less time consuming method of irrigation than hand watering. The soil is getting better every year - I've got chickens and pigs that help me a great deal in that regard!

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Del,

Give T-Tape drip a try and see how it does. You are learning about gardening every year. Irrigation knowledge is a fruit from the same tree, the trial and error tree. Aloha

• sandy0225
    13 years ago

T tape is so much better than soaker hose here. We have high mineral content and rust in our well water and it coats the inside of the soaker hoses in no time flat. But the t tape has already lasted one year, and we're using it for the second year this year with no problems. it's still in good shape. And it's cheaper too.

• delprete
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I think I will go with T-Tape. Although my well water is exceptionally clean and free of high minerals, the T-Tape is quite a bit cheaper than soaker hose. Now the rains have been fairly regular so I don't have to rush to install the irrigation, but I can take my time getting it in place.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists