Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible to run two valves at the same time, Rainbird timer

Posted by Rainbird1 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 11:34

Hi all
I am going to go w a Rainbird timer (unless you suggest otherwise). I want to be able to run two valves simultaneously .
I checked the manual, no info on that possibility. I spent 30 minutes yesterday trying to contact residential Rainbird reps and each of the several times, the phone went dead after waiting 4 minutes.
I visit the property once every two weeks.
I dont want to come home to a flood in the event a valve is stuck open.
I want to use Valve A to feed all the other valves.. This valve will remain open while the other valves are doing their thing.
Can a Rainbird SST or ESP or basic 6 vavle unit allow me to do that?
Thanks all
by the way.... I tried to use the name AlbertG and other versions of that to register on this forum. It didnt like that name..... So, out of frustration I typed in Rainbird1 and lo and behold, my new name is Rainbird1. Not my first choice but...it works : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible to run two valves at the same time, Rainbird t

RB,

I don't believe you could do it with one timer. You could try it with the one master valves double wired into the controller for all the zones with the other valves. Just have a separate zone timer running that valve independent of the others and is on while the other come on one at a time. The only problem is that they could get out of sync. So you need to check the system every once in a while to make sure the master valve is on when the other valves need to go on. aloha

o
There has got to be a better way...

getting a second timer adds expense and sync issues as you mention is an issue.
There has got to be some electronic work around. Perhaps a different brand that will allow the use of simultaneous valves open.
If I could get through to Rainbird, I would ask them.
Thanks for any other ideas

o
Yes, what i want to do is possible

after some reading, I found that what I want to install is called a Master Valve. It precedes the other valves and opens and closes in sync w the other valves.
Irritrol and Hunter and Rainbird have the capability to handle this task.
For me, its insurance knowing that there is some back up in case the valves dont close and I am not there to notice the over watering situation

o

RB,

Great. Thanks for letting everyone know. Let us know how you set up the controller and how it works. aloha

o

On a similar note, I found the Rainbird manual a bit unclear about how the timer handles overlapping start/run times.

Say I want all zones to water for 30 minutes each. What if zones 1 and 2 are both set to 7:00am, but zone 3 is set to 7:45am and zone 4 is set to 7:40am?

I called the customer help line and strangely the rep was completely baffled by the question. I ended up just trying to avoid the situation by spreading out different watering times, but with the automatic timer adjustments and multiple-times-per-day-watering, I'm still not quite sure how it behaves in reality.

o

To answer your question about overlapping run times most timers will delay the start of each zone till the previous zone finishes.

o

Check out BlueSpray. It can be programmed to run either serially or concurrently. It comes with a 1A transformer so it should be able to handle 2 valves + master. Just make sure you have enough water pressure.

Here is a link that might be useful: BlueSpray

o

Check out BlueSpray. It can be programmed to run either serially or concurrently. It comes with a 1A transformer so it should be able to handle 2 valves + master. Just make sure you have enough water pressure.

Here is a link that might be useful: BlueSpray

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here