Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funghi2

driwater

funghi2
14 years ago

tried searching for posts on driwater and they seemed old and not informative. any updates out there on this product? does it work? I am skeptical bc how can a one quart container water anything for 90 days?? i dont see how it can give more than one quart of water

Comments (3)

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Hi Fungi,

Here is what their website says under FAQ. See if it adds to your comfort or discomfort level.

When applied per manufacturers recommended usage, DRiWATER will not over-water plant materials. Used under normal circumstances, following manufacturers recommendation, each 90 -Day Quart carton or Tube and Gel Pac will deliver one ounce of water every three days. When used to establish native plants outdoors, DRiWATER is designed to deliver only enough moisture to keep the plant under an adequate amount of stress, which causes the plant to seek its own moisture source to sustain itself. When used as supplemental irrigation to aid in ornamental plant establishment in an existing irrigated area, DRiWATER is designed to deliver enough water to keep the root mass moist between normal irrigation cycles.

One ounce of water every three days is not very much.
    Let's see. A 24" pot has 3.14 sf of area. Evaporation alone is 1/4" per day so in soil about a 1/16" with mulch equals about .0052 ft of water. 3.14 sf x .0052 ft is .01635 cubic ft per day evaporation loss. This equates to 0.01635 cf x 7.481 gallons /cf or 0.12 gallons. 0.12 gallons loss x 128 oz/ gallon equals 15 .36 oz loss. So I guess you need 13 pkg of this stuff per plant.

I believe this is just to supply minimum moisture for plants that don't need water to survive. maybe cactus, succulents. JMHO. Any other opinions. Somebody check my math. Aloha.

• hydro4me
    14 years ago

We just added these to our product line, and I must say I am skeptical and not inspired to rush out and buy any. I guess for short term (away on vacation), it might do the trick, but not for long term watering.

I'll stick with recirculating hydro systems and Aqua Globes (As seen on TV) for passive watering. :D

• funghi2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lehua, i had the same concerns. doesnt seem like a lot of water. i called and spoke with the inventor harold. he said the bc the water feeds the roots directly u could use 85% less h20. he also directed me to their tree thingy they r doing in the desert. 1 million trees in the desert only water is the driwater. im still also very skeptical but i have to try it and see. in my experience when something sounds to good to be true it usually is but there seems to be some science behind it. harold said if i put 3 q's to each tomato plant i wouldnt have to water it for 90 days. we will se i guess

hydro4me , if possible keep us informed to how ur customers like it