Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humming in water pipes

Posted by
organic-girl Missouri
(gw:organic-girl) on
Mon, Jun 26, 06 at 12:24

We had a Toro irrigation system professionally installed 5 years ago. The last several summers we are experiencing a loud "humming" in our water pipes when the water is on anywhere in our house. This only happens in the spring and summer, when our irrigation system has been activated. After we do a fall shut-down it disappears. This summer it is specially bad. When our irrigation company came out for our backflow test the tech told me he thinks our presure regulator was the problem, and to call a plumber. Should I call a plumber or my irrigation co? Is there anything I can do, before I spend $$$$ calling a professional. Many thanks for any help and advice you could give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humming in water pipes

do the valves have a flow control? when the system is making the noise, put you hand on each valve and see if you can locate the culprit. after you know which valve it is (if it is the valve), and it has a flow control, turn the flow control counter clockwise (with the valve operating). You should only need to turn it a small amount. If your on the right track, the noise should reduce as soon as you turn the handle.

I just re-read your message and it isn't clear if the noise is only when the water in the house is on or when the irrigation is on. Normally the pressure regular only feeds the house and has nothing to do with the irrigation. the irrigation can have it's own pressure regulator but they normally reduce pressure with the flow control.

o

Thanks garden guy for the reply.....the humming in the pipes only occurs when water runs inside the house. When the irrigation system is running no humming occurs, I think a good place to start is our pressure regulator. Thanks again.

o

Generally humming in pipes is a sign of too low of pressure. The irrigation system (assuming you're not running both at the same time) isn't the problem. I think others in your neighborhood are using water and resulting in a drop in water pressure. Observe if the humming happens in the morning (more water used by others)or in the afternoon (less water used)or anytime water is used. Make sure your irrigation isn't running at the time you're testing the house system for noise.

The pressure regulator (if that's the problem child) is generally adjustable. The pressure regulator has a diaphram (diameter varies but about 2"-4" diameter) with a nut and screw in the center. Loosen the nut then turn the screw clockwise to increase the pressure.

o

Thanks for the additional advice - we are going to work on it this weekend!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here