Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miricle Grow Garden Feeder and Drip System?

Posted by ben_950 5b West MI (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 12:30

I use a drip tape irrigation in my vegetable garden, and was wondering if anyone has ever used a Miracle Grow Garden Feeder as an in-line fertilizer with their drip system. The spray nozzle on the Garden Feeder screws off and will accept a standard hose coupling, so I believe it will integrate smoothly. Has any one done this, and did it work well?
I'd also like to know how I could use this set-up to apply fish and seaweed emulsion (what concentration to put in the tank). For example, my fish emulsion says to add 1 tsp per gallon of water. I'm not sure how that would translate to what goes in the Garden Feeder tank.

Thanks, Ben

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle Grow Garden Feeder

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miricle Grow Garden Feeder and Drip System?

I use the same method about every 2-3 weeks. I also use Fish Emulsion. I usually fill it up about an 1/8 of the way with the Fish Emulsion and add the rest with compost tea. I beleive the MG sprayer will spray out 50 gallons ( I think I read this on the website or on the bottle). But 50 tbls seemed a little high to me. My plants have been growing fine with the amount I am using. Maybe someone else has a more presice method.

o

I would never put any chemicals into any portion of a home water supply line, including a sprinkler. I don't even like the hose-end feeders where people use weed killer and so on.
What if a tiny bit backflows into your house water supply and your kid drinks it and gets sick ? It isn't worth the chance.

o

I understand your concern kachinee, and I'm sure in some circumstances there is a chance of back flow contamination. However, I have 50 feet of hose between the garden and the faucet. And, when I tested this setup over the weekend, the fertilizer tank was emptied in about 20 minutes. After that I disconnected the feeder and continued to irrigate with plain water. I see no chance of back flow contamination as long as I follow the same procedure. I'm glad you brought up the point though. To be honest, I hadn't thought of that possibility.

o

My drip system has a backflow preventer. I sure hope it works. I never thought of it like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here