Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Micro Irrigation for cinderblock beds

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 12:50

I've been in the process of setting up a micro irrigation system for my garden. I have cinderblock raised beds, with additional plants in the cinderblock holes on the border of the bed.

All the main plants in the regular beds have a drip emitter. I was wondering what the best way to water the plants in the cinderblock holes. Should I do a drip emiter for each plant or set up a sprinkler that might cover more than one hole?

Also, I had a barbed 1/4" connector break off and a part fell into the 1/2" mainline hose. Is this piece going to cause issues? I don't know how to get it out without cutting the hose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Micro Irrigation for cinderblock beds

You should have some kind of an end cap on your main line poly, and it would have a cap on it, or it could be ended with a figure "8". Take it off and flush your system out, the little piece may come out then.

What kind of plants do you have in the cinder block holes? I have a friend who has her beds set up like that.

o
RE: Micro Irrigation for cinderblock beds

Mine has the figure 8. I'll see if it flushes out, it's pretty far down the line from the end :\

I've got a mix of things. Various herbs, onions, garlic, lots of chard (was worried they'd be too small for the chard, but they're all super happy in there right now). Also popped some alyssum and marigolds in here and there to make it look nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here