Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I find underground sprinkler valves using a metal detector?

Posted by palmtreeguy (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 12:57

Please Help! I bought a house with about an acre of land and all of it is irrigated. My problem is that I have one zone that doesn't turn off and the sprinkler people told me that they have to take a look at the valve. The problem is no one knows where it is since this was a foreclosure. And no one seems to want to search for the underground valve. One suggested using a metal detector but I need some confirmation so I can purchase and do it myself. I don't want my yard to die on me now that the hot summer months are approaching. Thanks for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I find underground sprinkler valves using a metal detecto

ptg,

Some additional info needed. The controller is located where? How many zones are hooked up in the controller? Where is the mainline shut-off in relation to the controller?
You had a sprinkler contractor out to look at the system and all he could come up with is get a metal detector? If you can't find the valve how do you turn off the zone? Do you know where all the other auto valves are? Pictures would be helpful. Is the water source from the house(hose bib)or from the mainline to the house? These questions are a start. The forum is at a disadvantage because we can't see the your lot nor walk around it. The more info the more we can help. You may have to do some probing or listening. Aloha

o
RE: Can I find underground sprinkler valves using a metal detecto

A metal detector is unlikely to work because the valves are most likely to be plastic with very little metal in them. If you don't have any luck probing small low spots near the begining of the zone, it may require someone to do a wire trace for the valve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here