Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Distance from pavement to heads

glenn_russell
12 years ago

Hi All-

Next question. Now that I've paved my driveway, I think the heads may be a bit far from the new pavement. Right now, they're 1 to 2 feet away. from the edge. But, it's difficult for me to get those areas of grass along the driveway, near the head, without overwatering my driveway. I saw elsewhere online, where people suggested just 3" away, but it was a pretty informal discussion. Obviously the danger here is a car running off the edge of the driveway, driving over a head. (Or worse, a plow, though I should have them well under the pavement). What about putting them right up against the driveway, where the pavement itself could protect the head a little in the case of an errant tire... and I would just give enough room to service the head, etc. Thanks in advance,

-Glenn

Comments (12)

• lehua49
    12 years ago

gr,

Here is my $0.02. First leave them where they are. As long as the coverages over lap(as they should)just get the adjustable heads and have them shoot 140 degrees and cover what is toward the driveway. If that doesn't work or not to your liking. Change the border along the driveway to a flower bed or ground cover that is drought resistant. It will give those errant drivers a better border to follow. You can then irrigate with bubbler heads instead of sprayers(4" away from the edge of the driveway). Not because of tires but easier to repair if needed. Anyway JMHO. aloha

• mike1059
    12 years ago

If you still have the rotors in place you may be able to adjust the arc and radius to get slightly better coverage without moving the heads.

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Guys-
    Weird. Still no emails from GW when I get a response. Hmmm...

What you guys have said makes sense... the overlapping of adjacent heads should be able to be adjusted so that you don't have any dead zones. But, I think that's a problem with this zone. The rotors' zones do overlap, but not all the way. So, there are +/- 5 feet on either side of the heads that don't make the overlap. And, it would be hard to add another zone now that the driveway is paved.

If you look at my "My Page", you will see the zone in my first picture. That pic is from last year.

I'm hoping you can see the pic that I linked to below. It's a 'high dynamic range' shot of the house, with the area in question on the left. (the areas in the center are the ones I talked about in my other post). You can see that I've added loam around the edge of the driveway, and I'm now trying to grow grass there. But, in this HDR pic, you can almost see the dry spots that I'm talking about.

Anyway, with all this in mind, I'm wondering if I will have no choice but to move the heads closer to the driveway. Based on the info above, is there a reason why you'd recommend not doing that?

You guys rock. Thanks again,
    -Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: HDR pic of my house

• mike1059
    12 years ago

one question we all forgot to ask is what size and brand of rotors are you working with.

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike-
    I'm using Rainbird 5000's in that area... though I've got some Toro rotors and spray heads in other areas. Thanks, -Glenn

• mike1059
    12 years ago

I f the heads have been diffused any you may be able to open the radias screw to cover the shortage in the coverage the space between heads.

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike-
    Can you explain what you mean by the 'heads being diffused'?
    And by the radius screw, do you mean the one that controls how far the head shoots?
    Thanks as always,
    -Glenn

• mike1059
    12 years ago

The radias screw is the one directly above the nozzel and is used to shorten the throw distance by interupting the stream as well as diffusing and spreading the water.

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike-
    Yeah, I've been playing with that screw, to try to widen the stream at the base. I've had a little luck, but I still don't think it's perfect.

Do you really think it's a bad idea to have the head closer to the driveway? Is that because you are worried about someone driving on it? Or are you just trying to save me from having to move some heads?

Thanks!
    -Glenn

• mike1059
    12 years ago

Personally I prefer to have the heads about 3" off of a hard edge like a driveway or sidewalk to avoid hitting them with an edger. As long as they are on funny pipe being run over by a car or mower tire is not really a problem.

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike-
    Ok, it sounds like we agree then. I'm going to move at least a couple of the heads to be 3" off the driveway edge (instead of 18"). Thanks for all your advice!

Thanks Monicakm for the 3" reference. "Funny Pipe" is just the name of the flexibal hose that connects the sprinkler head to the rigid main PVC lines.

Best regards,
    -Glenn

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21