Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gatrees

Install valve and Back flow Preventor inside the basement?

Love Trees
14 years ago

I am looking at installing a Sprinkler system myself. : It is a single zone, 5 rotor heads for 1800 Sq. feet. There is no lawn as of now just a bare land. The Water main comes in to my basement through the concrete basement wall, (see picture below, it is just below the front door). The Main pipe is 2 feet below the grade outside). It is a 3/4" Copper pipe. My water meter is 60 feet from my basement, on the other end of the driveway, (See pictures  right side near the telephone box/wooden pole) so if I put the valve near the water meter, I need to bore beneath the driveway. I would like to know whether I can install the valve, Backflow Device and the controller inside the basement (of course if I get a good pressure and a GPM inside the basement) and run the irrigation pipe by drilling it out of the basement?

My county water system pressure is around 80 PSI and I am not sure the pressure at the point where I mount the Valve inside the basement. The sprinkler heads will be located at least 2 ½ feet below where I connect the valve to the water main line inside the basement because my front yard slopes down to a lower level from my basement wall. If I install the valve near Water meter, than it will be at the same level as the rotor head as you can see from the picture. Also I could avoid running the irrigation pipe from basement, so can save 40 feet of pipe and also could avoid pressure loss. The lawn will be in front of the big rock you see in the picture

Appreciate your answers.

{{gwi:330345}}

Comments (10)

• Love Trees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is some rough Loss Calculations

Backflow Preventor loss : 2 PSI
    Increase in Elevation loss 10 PSI (Assumption)
    1" PVC Mainline Loss 1 PSI
    PGP Rotors 30 PSI
    1" Class 200 Laterals Pipe Loss : 5 PSI
    PGA100 Valve Loss : 3 PSI
    Total Loss 51 PSI

• ri_ohio
    14 years ago

What type of backflow are you figuring on using?
    Your loss calculations are off a bit.
    What is your goal with installing 5 rotors? Grass only, grass and overspraying beds, anything planned for the side of the drive?
    Are you opposed to installing more to be more efficient with your watering? Remember once your design is in the ground it is not easy to modify down the road.

Here is a link that might be useful: irrigation design, new lawn sprinkler systems

• Love Trees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Answers to your questions:

1) WK720A-100 - Wilkins 1" PVB Assembly
    2 I understand, it is rough and to be on the safe side loss PSI shown are high.
    3)Goal is to water lawn. Zoysia Grass only; Nothing on the other side of driveway
    4) I am flexible, but I spoke to some contractors here and all of them came with the similar design of 5 rotor heads in one zone in the same location; These guys are reputed guys in the area

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Hi Seth,

The answer is yes. The basement would be good. Since you have such good water pressure, your design concerns are the easiest place to access your controller, power to the controller, Closest connection to waterline and valve locations in relation to your controller. Forget crossing the drive way at all. Connect to your water main by your front door, put your valves and vacuum breaker behind the bushes next to your front door and put your controller in a weather proof box mounted on the side of your front door stairs. All is hidden by your bushes. Oh yeah your bushes need trimming too. Basement will be more expensive piping and wiring but better on your controller. Good Luck and aloha.

• Love Trees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lehua13

Thanks. Why can't I put all the three - Controller, valve and the back flow INSIDE the basement instead of putting near the bushes

I just purchased a pressure gauge and checked the pressure of the faucet near my front door as well as rear of my home. It was 42 PSI. Probably because of pressure regulator and also since the faucets are attached to 1/2" pipe

• ri_ohio
    14 years ago

You do not want to put your PVB inside the house; the PVB will have to be minimum 12" above the highest sprinkler pipe/head. The PVB needs to be mounted outside the home w/ accessibility for service. Inside the home you will have to abide by plumbing code: copper, cpvc or whatever is code for your City. As lehua stated mount your PVB outside along with your control valve.

Good Luck..

Regards,

Bob
    cic,clia,bft

Here is a link that might be useful: irrigation blog

• ri_ohio
    14 years ago

Seth,

What is the GPM for the irrigation system design? What is the GPM for the house?

Regards,

bob

• Love Trees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bob - Grateful for your help; Here are the answers

House Volume : 11 GPM ( 3/4" Copper Pipe)
    Proposed System with 5 rotors: 8 GPM (1/2 Circle PGP, 30 feet spacing, 30 PSI, 1.6 GPM each nozzle)
    If I install 6 rotors: 9.6 GPM (1/2 Circle, PGP, 30 feet spacing, 30 PSI,1.6 GPM)

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Hi seth,

Your photo really helps greatly in receiving good advice. You could put the controller in the basement but not any water fittings just because of the risk of water filling up your basement and coming out of the garage. JMHO.

Bob's the man, he has the credentials and writes a good common sense blog. Aloha.

• ri_ohio
    14 years ago

Thanks Lehua.

Seth,

I just wanted to make sure that you are not designing a system that will hinder you from taking a shower or running a washer while the irrigation is running. And I wanted to see if you were using matched precip rates for the spray patterns.

Looks like you are ahead of the game. I would not recommend adding the 6th head, I would rather just divide it into 2 zones w/ 3 rotors each.

Good Luck.