Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Rain water not draining

sweetchastity
13 years ago

I've dug my first garden and now I need some advice on draining water that is sitting in puddles in my garden. Ok right now its still a hole in the ground, took me a few tries to get the right tools.

{{gwi:330523}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a friend who's an Arborist and I've discussed how I was going to do stuff. I choose the slight incline in my backyard because it was supposed to drain well, lol. I think I dug too deep, trying to get under the grass roots, and now the water sits on clay which I dug into a bit. I plan to add more 3-in-1 soil but I tried to mix some of the old soil and use the rotter tiller to mix it up well.

Unfortunately its my dad's rotter tiller and so he's trying to tell me how to do it (he's never gardened in his life). He says that I should throw all the soil back into the hole and he'll use the rotter tiller on all of it and once the ground is level then water won't puddle in the bottom corners. I don't think that is the case since the one corner's soil is almost level with the grass and the water pools there and makes it really muddy after rain (day or two after rain). So I thought about it and I'd like to put something like the weeping hose/tub they use around the foundation of a house to collect and redirect the water away from the foundation. I thought that if I put a tube/hose with holes in it along the bottom of the garden, it will redirect the rain water out and away from the garden.

Next year I might move it to another spot in the backyard but we don't use the backyard except to let the dog do her business so right now it doesn't matter where it is. Can anyone tell from the pictures if I have clay-based soil (my dad and I argue over whether it is or isn't)? Also does anyone have any ideas about draining the water or what type of tube/hose I can use to follow my idea?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!