Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scatspeak

Hunter Pro-C malfunction

scatspeak
16 years ago

Spring activation problem. Pro-C has 2 modules installed (PN 466500 and PCM300) for a total of 6 zones. After restoring power to the controller, manual test of all Zones one at a time worked just fine. However, once system is set to 'Run' mode and activates at preset time, only Zones 1-3 work; Controller indicates Zones 4-6 are being run but no water dispenses. I pulled the module PCM300 for Zones 4-6, pulled/restored power to the Pro-C then pulled power, installed PCM300 module again and restored power. Same results - first run through on manual one Zone at a time and everything works fine but automatic mode (Manual All Zones) or regular run then Zones 4-6 produce no water.

What could the problem be?

Suggestions?

Comments (10)

• lsgv
    14 years ago

I have a similar problem with the Pro-C Hunter. I cannot manual start zone 8 out of 10 zones. Earlier it used to give Err on LCD when i started, but now it shows it is watering but there is no water from the sprinklers. Yesterday i noticed the same problem with zone 9, where as it used to work fine earlier.

I pulled the modules containing Zone 8 and fixed, but still the problem persists.

Any experts out there, can you guide me what is going and what needs to be looked at.

thanks in advance.

• ri_ohio
    14 years ago

lsgv, A little more information please:

8 out of 10 stations not working? please list the zones that work then zones that do not work. Please list your manifold configurations. (e.g. multiple locations zones 1&2 by backflow zones 3-6 by deck and so on)

The timer read: err; before or after you pulled the module out and put back in.

Did you unplug timer and remove battery then pull module out and replace before installing battery and plugging timer back in?

Did you also "lock" the modules back in place?

Regards,
    Bob

• steve_l
    14 years ago

Did you perform the reset procedure? Resetting a sprinkler timer is similar to rebooting a PC or drinking alcohol if you have relationship issues - often solves the problem.

• xanadue
    14 years ago

You might try calling Hunter directly on their help line. 1-800-319-4796

• corvalan
    9 years ago

I have a Hunter Pro C and no water is coming out.
    I checked the rain detector circuit and appears to be fine. I did the quick check and did not detect any short circuit.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks.

• irrigirl
    9 years ago

Does the display act like its running?

*Make sure the water to the yard is turned on from the city. You can check by opening one of your valves manually to see if you get water.

*You may be experiencing a transformer short. If your transformer is shorting out, it will not be putting out enough power to run the system. If your system is hardwired, the transformer will have to be changed out. Plug-in models can usually be easily changed by the homeowner.

*Circuit board could be bad. Transformer not distributing power to rest of board.

*If your timer has a fuse, it may be blown and preventing your system from running. Sometimes these fuses are decieving to the eye, i.e. may look good but still be bad. Usually you would not have a display with a blown fuse.

*You may have an issue with your common wire. Could be corroded, chewed through, disconnected, broken, etc.

*Your flow control on your valves may be closed. Make sure the flow control is in the open position, usually counter clockwise. The flow control is either a large knob or a small piece opposite of your bleed screw. Some valves do not have a flow control.

Checking for 24 volts AC (power supplied by transformer):

1) Set meter to AC

2) Set range 25-150

3) Measure the volts at the two 24vac screws

4) Activate station with manual runs (if possible) and put black probe to common, put red to each station, one at a time. (Checking for distribution of power through your board)

**Voltage should be over 22 volts

Checking solenoids and field wires

1) Set meter to OHMs

2) Set range to 200

3) Remove common wire!

4) Hold tip of black probe to common wire

5) Touch red probe to each station screw

**Short circuit/Bad solenoid/Wire=0-12 ohms

**12-60 ohms Good solenoid

**High numbers=corroded wire

**200+=Broken wire

You may also try testing wiring and bypassing the timer by using a 9v battery. If you put a zone wire and a common wire to each end of the 9v battery, it should activate the station. If it does, you may have an issue with your timer or power source. If it does not, you may have an underground issue outside of the timer.

• Prasad123
    9 years ago

Hi,

One station is watering non-stop. Even if I switch-off the power to Pro-C it is still the same. In order to avoid a huge water bill, I turned of the the water supply to the irrigation system completely.

Being in the Arabian gulf, we are having heavy sun and plants are getting dried. Please help me. Thanks

• irrigirl
    9 years ago

Turn your water back on. Remove the wire for that station while your controller is in the OFF position.

*If the station continues to run, you have a problem with the valve. Usually this can be fixed by replacing the valve diaphragm. If replacing the diaphragm does not fix this, the whole valve should be changed.
    *If the station shuts off upon removal of your station wire, the issue is most likely with the timer.

• HU-991883979
    4 years ago

I don‘t see Stations 7-10 on my Pro-C anymore for all A, B, C programs. I already performed the reset procedure but it didn’t help. Please advise! Thanks!

Nguyen

• PRO
    MrHIrrigation
    4 years ago

it's likely the module has come unlocked and lost connection. try reseating the module and relocking it.