Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellie_in_california

Best and smartest controller?

I have a 9 year old Rainbird controller which works fine but the buttons are hard and you have to pound them to set them. It is time for a new one. I would like one for my 8 stations that is "smarter" as well. By that I mean a rain sensor or seasonal adjust system or any other new convenience.

Thanks,

Ellie

Comments (12)

• ellie_in_california
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oops it is a Toro but that probably does not matter.
    E

• ktnwin
    18 years ago

I just bought two ORBIT timers (6 station each). They are very sturdy as they are enclosed within a box (with key too). Cost about 60$ each (plus tax) from Home Depot.
    The nice thing about this box is it use a regular power cord (not with the AC adapter) and it can be installed outdoor. It also support optional rain sensor.
    It's very easy to set the time for each station via a slider (for each). Two AA batteries are desirable just in case you unplug it or there is a temporary power outage. The battery keeps your programming intact.
    I had one of this in my previous house and it's still working great. Now I get two more in my new house.

• eltigre
    18 years ago

Check out the new toro timer at HD that allows you to program it from your computer. Neat stuff. They come in 4,6,8,10 zone models. Check the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: toro timer

• steve_l
    18 years ago

Hunter with a remote control. Having a remote is really cool :)

• bubba33
    18 years ago

stay away from the home depot junk. Go to a irrigation supply store where they sell top quality supplies. I like the Hunter pro-c and the Rain-dial.

• PoorOwner
    18 years ago

Hi, is there a timer that can water different zones at different intervals? e.g. I want to water my lawn 3 times a week but my bed only 2 times a week.

It doesn't have to be very expensive one, as I only have 4 valves max.

• doctor_sprinkler
    18 years ago

You can use any timer that has more than 1 program available. Many commercial controllers have up to 4 different program(a,b,c,&d) The Hunter Pro-C or Rainbirds ESP4M are great choices but cannot de found at the home centeres. Try and find an irrigation supplier in you area. These timers are a little more expensive but remember "you get what you pay for".

• PoorOwner
    18 years ago

Thanks docter sprinkler.

Home depot has a rainbird for $50 that claims you can run different program for lawn and scrubs. I think it might do what I am asking for.

What alot of cheap controllers have are A B C programs but they do not have the ability to run more than one program at a time. i.e. I want to run A and B togther.
    Well I'll check it out I really want to keep it within $50 if possible.

• doctor_sprinkler
    18 years ago

Just to clear it up a little..If the timers at home depot have more than one program, then it will work for you. No, you cannot run them at the same time but you program them both to run at different intervals (days, times) No controller should allow any 2 programs to run at the same time and it shouldn't even allow you to program it that way. Usally an error message will alert you. Go ahead and get the HD controller if it offers more than one program, just dont overlap or double up the program times. The timers at you local home centers should be okay short term and if you have to replace it at a later date maybe you'll be in a better position to upgrade to a commerial timer.
    Good Luck.

• gardeningman32
    16 years ago

I've posted here yesterday about the best controller on the market. I just got it two weeks ago and think its amazing. A product called Cyber-Rain. Right now, I can only find it online, but if you have a computer, want to save money, etc., you should try it out. See for yourself. Their Web site is www.cyber-rain.com.

Cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyber-Rain Sprinkler Controller

• jlemezis_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

best and smartest? that will depend on personal values for sure. Smartest? The controller that will help you save the most water (without killing your garden), is easiest to setup; easy to access, and flexible in scheduling, would that be the best and smartest. Most likely. Though you most likely have to pay a little more for this.

LawnCheck is an Internet based controller. This sprinkler controller provides the above benefits and is relatively low in cost. It's easy to setup and use because you set your schedule using a broswer form, not a bunch of dials and switches, you get weather dependencies, and they give you a lot of programs. You only need a computer for setup, and if you have dsl or cable internet it is fun and free to check out: Search on: LawnCheck or click on the link below.

If you are just looking for a good timer, WeatherMatic seems to make some good controllers that get good reviews.

Spring is just around the corner and I'm getting my garden ready.

Here is a link that might be useful: smart internet sprinkler controller

• ted123
    15 years ago

Toro has a smart controller that communicates with a satellite for a fee. I think it is a yearly fee.

Here is a link that might be useful: diy site