Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohmmm_gw

Tractor Sprinkler Tip

ohmmm_gw
12 years ago

I picked up an old 1950s tractor sprinkler on ebay, all metal, weighs about 30lbs. Gave it a good cleaning and lubricated the shafts and gears.

It will pull a standard garden hose on level ground about 50 ft before it stalls out and the weight of the hose it is dragging gets to be too much.

It was then that I remembered I had a small white hose made for the recreational vehicle user. It is about 20ft long and much lighter weight than normal garden hose.

So I hooked that up to the tractor sprinkler and connected the standard garden hose to the other end of the lightweight hose. I set the tractor on the end of the normal garden hose so it tracks properly. So now all it has to do for the first 20 feet, is pull the lightweight hose.

Much easier for the tractor to do. If you remember, you can go out every hour and reset the lighter hose so the tractor never needs to pull much of the normal heavier garden hose.

Most RV stores will stock this hose in various lengths. The only downside is that it kinks very easily, so you have to make sure it is laying down properly before you leave it unattended.