Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidluvr

Need to pump out of garbage can.

Denise Nash
9 years ago

Hi!

I don't want to bore anyone so I'll keep it short. I grow orchids. I move them outside in summer. I have a greenhouse where they grow in winter. Irrigation is the biggest pain in the neck about the whole operation!

Water is best for watering orchids when it is at room temperature. I had an instant water heater installed but that thing died, and I had trouble using it when fertilizing anyhow. So I decided to try something different.

This is my new system: I have a 45 gallon garbage can and I put water and fertilizer in it. I water from that garbage can. I've been using a submersible pump to push the water up through the hose and nozzle so I can water my plant collection. This system worked well enough in winter when I have a 25 foot garden hose attached to the pump.

Summer. I move plants outside. The pump does not push water up 75 Feet of hose. Drizzles are all I get. :-(

I thought if I tried a different pump with more horsepower, things would improve. No dice. I don't understand why, but there is really no change in output between the one pump I got for free from a friend and the other one with the 1 HP motor.

I need a pump that will shoot a decent amount of water out of the end of 75-100 feet of garden hose. Any ideas or suggestions? I am very frustrated. I know there is some physics at work here that I don't understand. Any explanations?

Comments (2)