Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to pump out of garbage can.

Posted by orchidluvr Z6 SE Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 18:17

Hi!

I don't want to bore anyone so I'll keep it short. I grow orchids. I move them outside in summer. I have a greenhouse where they grow in winter. Irrigation is the biggest pain in the neck about the whole operation!

Water is best for watering orchids when it is at room temperature. I had an instant water heater installed but that thing died, and I had trouble using it when fertilizing anyhow. So I decided to try something different.

This is my new system: I have a 45 gallon garbage can and I put water and fertilizer in it. I water from that garbage can. I've been using a submersible pump to push the water up through the hose and nozzle so I can water my plant collection. This system worked well enough in winter when I have a 25 foot garden hose attached to the pump.

Summer. I move plants outside. The pump does not push water up 75 Feet of hose. Drizzles are all I get. :-(

I thought if I tried a different pump with more horsepower, things would improve. No dice. I don't understand why, but there is really no change in output between the one pump I got for free from a friend and the other one with the 1 HP motor.

I need a pump that will shoot a decent amount of water out of the end of 75-100 feet of garden hose. Any ideas or suggestions? I am very frustrated. I know there is some physics at work here that I don't understand. Any explanations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to pump out of garbage can.

OL,
Pumps are rated for flow rate at a certain head (vertical height in feet the water has to push, not horizontal feet distance). You need to look at the pumping specs for these attributes. You didn't say two things that are necessary to evaluate your problem. Flow rate needed (fill up a know volume container and time it) and vertical distance from pump outlet to where you have your plants). This can be roughly approximated. Aloha

o
RE: Need to pump out of garbage can.

Hi Lehua - The flow rate needed is, say, 4-5 gallons a minute? Or even a bit less. Just so the water comes out of the nozzle with a little force instead of dripping out. :-(

Vertical distance of perhaps 5 feet? I have to admit I don't understand this. It seems to me that if the pump just pumped with more power, it would fill the hose with water, and I'd get more pressure. There must be more to it than that, though, so I bow to your superior knowledge. I'll admit that I've never taken physics! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here