Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 zone on all the time (long description)

Posted by marzhere 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 19:12

Howdy,

I need some expert advice.

After 13 years of no problems, I have one zone that will not shut off. The system was in the house prior to when we purchased so not sure exactly how old the system is. We are on city (Denver) water. The controller is a Rain Bird ESP 8 SI. I have 7 zones. The valves are a mix of a brand called Lawn Genie and what look to be Rain Bird. There is a master control valve as well.

Zone 1 comes on and does not shut off. The controller will cycle thru and turn on the other valves but will not fully operate the other zones with the zone 1 valve already open and drawing all the pressure. Although pressure does drop for zone 1 and some water come out at the other zones. The master control valve is working properly as it starts and stops water flow to the system.

Here's what I've done so far with the help of the Rain Bird Troubleshooting Guide.
http://www.rainbird.com/documents/diy/IrrigationTroubleshootingGuide.pdf

Checked for constant voltage to the solenoid. Nope.

Checked resistance for the circuits for all valves in the box and from the connections at the controller. No shorts or open circuits. Resistance at 25 - 35 ohms on all circuits.

Replaced the diaphragm and solenoid on #1 valve. Checked for debris in the various orifices. No different result.

Replace entire valve with a similar Orbit model from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_249620-74985-57661_4294713292__?productId=3133363&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar:1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Disconnected all the electrical connections (to all valves in the box) and turned on the water to the system at the master control valve by turning the solenoid a 1/4 turn. Zone 1 come on. I initially was just checking for leaks when replacing the valve and was surprised the zone came on.

I'm now scratching my head. I can only speculate its too high water pressure keeping the valve open. But why now after 13 years? And why only that zone?

Please, help. Lawn dying (except for zone one). Drought conditions.

Thanks
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 zone on all the time (long description)

m,

You have done a thorough job of TS, everything I would have and more. One item left. Check for insect infestation at the motherboard, then replace the controller. JMHO Aloha

o

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention in the original post that I attempted to reset the controller by unplugging the unit, removing the battery and fuse for 5+minutes. Checked all the connections, ground, removed the front panel and looked for dirt, dust, etc. Still have the same issue. All the other controller functions seem to work properly, opens the master control valve, cycles through station automatically and manually, etc.

I also tried bleeding the all valves several times as well after installing the new valve.

Thanks
Mark

o

Couldn't you check if it is the controller by switching wires so another valve is zone 1. If that one then stays on you know it is up there.

o
System goes on by itself after power failure is restored

Hi, new to forum. My rainbird system goes on after we have a power failure for a length of time and then is restored(all stations) and won't go off til I run out to the shop and hit the reset button. Also, lately when I try to run a
zone manually for a preset time it won't go off. I have to turn if off. Any ideas??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here