Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austmate

drainage problem

austmate
15 years ago

I have a constant soggy area of my deck I dug a 4' x 3'x 3'deep hole and found a constant flow of water came from under the deck, I filled it in with small rocks and sand and left a hand pump to check water control. Well it didn't work the hole will fill up over night and has done so for the past 2 months, the property slopes from the deck to the back yard 35 feet at about 5 degrees, the soil is very clayish, should I run a drainage pipe down to the rear of the property or do I need to do something more drastic

Thanks for your help

Comments (4)

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

if possible turn off the water to you home for a few hours and see if flow stops. if it does you have a plumbing leak.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Austmate,

I agree with David. You need to find out the source of the water flow. Do you know where all your water, sewer and drain lines go. Turn off all water that you know of in and around your house and don't put any water down the sewer or drain lines and then watch your water meter. If the meter is spinning or recording useage over several hours you have a leak. Also if the water has any sulphur or musty smell it could be a broken sewer or drain pipe from your house. Now comes the interesting part. If it isn't your sewer, drain or water leak, check your neighbors for leaks. Are you on good terms with your neighbors? It might be coming from them and you will save them money and be their hero. Have them do the same thing you did and check the water flow.
    If this doesn't clarify the source then excavate a trench toward the source of the water and see where it leads. You will need to do this anyway in order to build a french drain to a place to dispose of the water.
    Good luck and aloha

• austmate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks David and Lehual.
    I did what you both suggested and checked the neighbor's as well, all checked out fine,the meter stopped, the water has a fresh smell. I think the problem is the area of the traxs deck that was built it is 960sf and the ground underneath can't absorb the run off.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Austmate,

Then you are in good shape. No emergency, but with clay soil the area should dry up after a short period of time after a rain. If the ground has good porosity the water would enter the soil and flow out over time but again dry up after a week or so. Your description of constantly wet for two months is confusing unless it has rained for two months. Is one of the house lots higher than you on one side and has the same slanting back yard away from the house? Do you have access under you deck?