Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michellesg_gw

Sprinkler Main doesn't turn off

michellesg
16 years ago

I tried searching for this info in the archives but couldn't find anything related. I was trying to plant in my back yard and hit a sprinkler line, the lines are a bit oddly laid due to insane amount of rock in the ground so it's not a big surprise. I go out front to turn off the water main to the irrigation system, again, not a big deal. I'm assuming it's a regular ball valve and it has on and off written on it with the respective arrows (righty tighty, lefty loosey). So I tighten it. It does nothing. I can run the sprinklers and the water still flows, you can feel it in the line. This is a new Rainbird system put in last September when the house was built so I know it's not rotted out or anything.

Am I doing something wrong here? I can turn off the main house valve and shut all the water off but not the irrigation system. I am definitely not some sort of experienced landscaper (obviously) but if it says 'irrigation' on it and the valve says 'off' I'm making the wild assumption that that's how you turn it off....help!