Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night Watering

Posted by lawnboy123 Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 23:04

I've always heard that watering at night is bad because in encourages fungus and disease.

Around here (South Michigan), temperatures typically cool below the dewpoint rather quickly (Due to very high humidity levels), and a typical night will have dew on the plants usually by midnight and remain unil the sun can burn it off the next day.

Do I get a free pass and might as well water at night?

I'm thinking that if the plant leaves are wet all night anyway, I might as well start watering at one in the moring.

I've got 15 zones that need to run for about 25 minutes each to saturate the soil, so we're talking between 5 and 6 hours.

Is this logical?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night Watering

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 10:06

I'm in Florida .. growing st augustine so that's my study knowledge.

With Air Temps in the lower 70's at night & if the grass blade stays wet about 8 hours before it sees some sun, is supposedly when the bad stuff starts growing or takes hold anyhow.

So watering after midnight would be fine here .. except we have watering restrictions / schedules that screw up that potential nicety.

o

Just make sure that the watering stops just about the time the sun comes up so that things have a chance to dry.

o

A lot of people have heard that. It must be from somebody's uncles brother inlaw.

How many golf courses water all night long?
How many large turf areas like business complexes water all night and part of the day?

Don't over water, but don't worry about what time.

Figure out what time you want the watering to be done, in most cases that is the first shower of the morning. Add up all the zone times and subract that from your finish time and you get your start time.

o

that is strange b/c the manual for our irrigation system specifically says to water at night, ending right befor the sun comes up...

o
Water between 7 a.m. and 2 p.m....

I defer to Jerry Baker (The Impatient Gardener) about maintaining lawns. He says in his lawn book that the best time to water is between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m., but definately finish by 2 p.m. Otherwise, you help the spread of fungus and disease.

So if you have a 5-6 hour watering schedule, it should fit nicely between 7 a.m. and 2 p.m.!

BTW, the golf courses water at night because they can't afford to spray their customers. It's more economical for them to buy and apply lots of fungicide than to drive off patrons.

o

I'll go with the 7-11 hours, but not about deferring to Jerry Baker. I bought one of his products which was totally useless. Then I found out his advice served mainly to promote his huge family mail order company.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here