Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ionic_gw

I've been over-watering, now what?

ionic
14 years ago

Ok, I grew up on a farm, but this is my first real garden in 10 years or so. 4'X8' raised beds with soaker hoses snaking through each.

My garden was off to a slow start and I was watering it about twice a week and I was disappointed in its progress (worried that I was doing something wrong). Then we got about 2 and a half straight days of rain and it took off.

Conclusion: I was under-watering. So I started watering each bed for about 30 minutes every day with the soaker hoses. My garden EXPLODED! Last week I harvested about 8-12 pounds of squash and zucchini off of just 3 plants, I had to give some of it away. My neighbor who is a "Master Gardener" was surprised that I even had fruit at all. I was harvesting cucumbers, and my tomatoes were [are] chin height. I was patting myself on the back daily. All organic, and NO fertilizers. It was too good to be true.

Until, this morning. I went out to do my daily harvest and I saw something strange and moldy. I went and checked the interwebs to confirm what I feared. Choanephora cucurbitarum, it was consuming the ends of several fruit. Since my soil seems to be sufficiently mulched and the fruit wasn't touching the ground AND I don't water from above, I have come to the conclusion that it is over-watering. I checked the soil, it was the consistency of MUD. I looked elsewhere in the garden and one of my Arkansas Travelers had most of its leaves curled upwards. So now I'm confused and I don't know what to do. I didn't water today.

1. Will the Wet Rot on the squash go away if I reduce watering?

2. Are the up-curling leaves on the tomato a symptom of over watering?

3. How often should I be watering in the 95º weather (with soaker hoses)?

4. I really value your input.

Comment (1)