Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soaker hose wasting water?

Posted by greenpointmary 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 0:00

This is my first time with a veggie garden. Today I put a recycled rubber soaker hose under the mulch in my small garden. I have to attach it to a regular garden hose since the soaker alone won't reach the garden from the spigot. I attached the end of the soaker with the small plastic disc to the regular garden hose, since this end was the only one that fit. At the other end of the soaker hose, it seeemed like there was quite a bit of water coming out and getting wasted. Is this normal or do I have something backwards?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soaker hose wasting water?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 8, 06 at 21:24

There should be no water coming out of the end of the soaker hose! When you buy a soaker hose, they normally come with a cap that screws on the far end so that water doesn't escape. Not having this cap defeats the fumctioning of the soaker hose as the escaping water mainly goes out the end rather than being forced through the tiny soaker holes. If your hose is missing the cap, any hardware store will have one for sale. (As for the small "plastic disc," I'm not sure what that is unless it's the washer that provides a seal where the hoses join.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here