Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dannymco

Multiple timers after y-valves from a single line

DannyMcO
10 years ago

Howdy all --

I have a problem that I am sure is not unique but for which I am having a hard time finding an answer.

I have a 200x75 plot, house set back about 30 feet in front with about 15 feet on each side, over 100 feet in the back...and 2 spigots, both of which have relatively low pressure (we are at about 600' elevation) - it's impossible to run both simultaneously without drastic reduction in output. It's impossible to effectively daisy chain, either.

We aren't installing in-ground sprinklers this year (as there are too many other priority projects ahead), so I have mapped out a system that would run around the perimeter with a minimum of hose on the grass (to accomodate the landscapers - I don't want to have to pick it up every week).

My problem is this - the system I mapped out is dependent heavily on a number of y-valves, which can only run one at a time. After 10 minutes or so, I'd manually close the running one, then open the next one in line.

I have upwards of 10 zones owing to some irregular areas and the size of the propery, and manually switching each one, each time would make the process nearly 2 hours long. I love my lawn, but not enough to give it 2 hours of input twice per day.

I'm looking for a way to use mechanical or battery operated timers - *after* the y valves, such that one side would water for 10 minutes, and then the other side would remain open to feed the next y-valve, which in turn would have 2 timers on it - one to run for 10 minutes at that zone, then turn off and let the next one stay open. I don't know if this is clear so I'll try to illustrate.

water spigot to y-valve at zone 1
y-valve splits to zone 1 sprinker and an extension to zone 2
post-y-valver timer allows 10 minutes in zone one, then switches to close zone 1, and opens zone 2
just before zone 2, another timer, then another y-valve to zone 3
zone 1 extension remains open as zone 2 is watered with post y-valve at zone 2 (that leads to zone 3) is closed
after 10 minutes, zone 2 sprinkler timer shuts off, and extension to zone 3 opens
repeat

The thing is, we will probably install in-ground sprinklers next year - or not, if this thing works as planned - but in either event running parallel hoses from a manifold is not practical unless I want 1000' of hose (which, as much as I like hose, I really don't want to have to deal with) - running the sprinklers in series is really the only solution I have. I can spend a few hundred more on it and be OK - it's a pittance compared to the thousands I'd put into in-ground.

Any suggestions? I have not been able to find a solution - ideally mechanical, but battery operated/weatherproof is fine as well if need be. No interest in cutting up the lawn with underground wires.

I could really use an assist here. Thanks for your help - and please, if you have specific product names, feel free to drop them --- I understand that mentioning a product doesn't mean you "vouch" for it.

Thanks much -

DannyMcO

Comment (1)