Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprinklers tired? Just decided to stop?

Posted by CEFreeman DC/MD Burbs 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 10:55

HI all!
In my very rudimentary watering system, I have 3 sprinklers on a timer. They've been running beautifully -- until we hit heat indecies of over 105. Then, they decided it was enough.

So, my question is what causes a sprinkler to just not function?

I have a regular, fan, back-and-forth type sprinkler on one hose. It doesn't back and forth now. Just clicks.

I have a great tri-pod sprinkler that was shooting water in all the right places. Well, it just stopped moving back and forth, and is essentially putting out a putt-putt squirt.

I have a tri-pod type sprinkler that actually sticks in the ground on a spike. It also decided not to move back and forth.

Now, my water pressure remains the same, as I can tell by the fan and the on-a-spike sprinkler.

What the heck causes sprinklers to stop functioning and how can I fix it? I have an extensive Japanese Maple collection (ok, OCD collection) and take their welfare very seriously. Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprinklers tired? Just decided to stop?

CE,

It does sound like a pressure problem. Especially since all three have have a problem at once. Could be a flow problem as well. That may be because an the automatic valve associated with the time is stuck partly open or won't open fully. Could be a number of problems. Start with measuring the pressure with an outdoor faucet pressure gauge. Let us know what the pressure is. Nest turn on your sprinklers by turning the solenoid at the valve. See if there is a difference. Do you run all three together from one valve or from three valves? If they are all on one valve then disconnect two of them and see if that improves the one still connected. Let us know what happens. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here