Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boozie_gw

Rain Barrels

boozie
15 years ago

Does anyone here use a rain barrel? I don't see another forum that might fit the topic. I have one installed and got first rainwater this weekend. Have discovered a flaw in the engineering with the "mosquito hole". The water runs out of that hole instead of the pipe to the barrel. Have talked to Gardener's Supply, but they have not had this problem reported previously (they say). Anyone else have similar situation?

Comments (5)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Boozie,

Don't have a rain barrel but if I saw a picture I probably could help you otherwise the magic word is "Duct Tape". If you do not know how to post a picture, I can help there too. Aloha.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I'm successfully using rain barrels in Memphis, TN area. I built my own based upon several plans I found online. The only time I loose any precious liquid sunshine is when I hit the over-flow hole at the top.
    Many pictures of how I built it are online at the link below

For mosquito control I let loose a few Gambusia Affinis (AKA "The Mosquito Fish") into the barrels. I obtained for free from my County Vector (Mosquito) Control agent. The fish eat bugs, larva, and algae, and produce some nice mild fertilizer as a by-product. They handle the heat and reproduce quickly and will reach a maximum population density commensurate with the food available. Mosquito fish have been proven to be environmentally friendly and extremely effective controlling mosquitoes. Each fish eats up to 300 mosquito larvae per day. They require little or no feeding and their care is limited to protecting them from gardens sprays, chlorine and other chemicals.

When rain is forecasted I link all the barrels under downspouts, out to a "remote" barrel on the far side of my yard and they all fill up to the same level, albeit slowly.
    once it's filled, I disconnect it all and use to provide a source for my drip-tape feeding my grape-vines in that section.

I'm still learning by trial and error but this works for me.

I'd be happy to discuss more details here or off-line.

Here is a link that might be useful: SandSquid's Rainbarrel Project

• miastern
    15 years ago

I am really into rain barrels and ESPECIALLY the hardware called diverters that connect the downspout to the rain barrel. You can email me a photo if you like. It sounds like your rain barrel isn't set-up correctly. You might want to alsoask someone at the company where i got my diverters. They are really helpful and work weekends - I talked a guy's head off last Sunday morning about how to do this and that. They're tech support is really good.

Here is a link that might be useful: The site where I got my rain barrel support

• freedee
    15 years ago

I talked to this gentleman on line and I think he might have worked out all the kinks. He makes his own rainbarrels and retails some that he imports. The link is to a new design that will be in production soon. It has several features that sound very good. But,I don't like the way it looks.

He also sells parts to costomize your own barrels. He has a device to attach a larger overflow outlet. The problem with alot of the styles that I saw on line is that when they get full, the overflow is through a smaller opening than a full gutter. When it really rains, it's not enough. Let's get our priorities straight. If your foundation is going to get soaked, it not worth it.

I haven't used the product, but it sounds like it's better. I'll let you know.

Here is a link that might be useful: aquabarrel

• hydro4me
    14 years ago

Good to see some Rain Barrel posts on Gardenweb.

I just bought a 60 gal, "open top" one from a local store. I have my cinder blocks, paver stone, and barrel...now I just need confirmation that Outdoordecor.com will be shipping my Rain Reserve diverter soon.

With my "open top" design, the back pressure trick will require the top of the barrel (fill/overflow hole) to be level or slightly lower (1" they say) for these style diverters to work properly, or I could seal the holes on top of the lid...I'd rather not have to do that though.

We'll see how it goes...hopefully this week, since we're getting rain, but my rain barrel is currently in the house. Not doin' much good there :(

I looked at that green one, which also requires the barrel and diverter to be level, but like the slide open door, to clean out any muck, which might get past my downspout screen on the one I bought.

I LOVE this site, and growing plants indoors and out, and it's even more fun in rocks with hydroponics.