Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain switch bypass

Posted by jsandek (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 11:34

I have a Toro timer (Custom Command 18-station)with a Irritrol rain detector/switch. The system worked fine last year. This year, however, the system ignores the fact that the Irritrol transmitter/receiver are activated by rain. The owners manual that came with the Toro timer is useless. It does describe a "bypass" wire that the device is shipped with. The rain switch takes the place of this bypass wire. From reading the Toro owner's manual it appears that in the absence of a rain switch the bypass wire needs to be in place for it to work. Would I be correct in assuming that the rain switch functions like the bypass wire (under dry conditions)? That when it rains the switch opens-deactivating the circuit? If so my problem is the irritrol device and not my toro timer? Could this be verified by testing teh Irritrol sitch with an ohm meter?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain switch bypass

Yes, the by-pass wire is equilivent (electrically) to the rain switch. The by-pass wire is just a jumper; a short piece of solid core wire connecting two terminal points. The terminal block on the output board (upper right side) is marked by-pass. You can check the rain detector with a multi meter. Remember the rain sensor is adjustable. You may need to adjust it to respond to different levels of rain.

o

Thanks GardenGuy. I am aware of the adjustment on the irritrol rain detector/transmitter (outside my house). The Irritrol wireless receiver (wired to my timer) lights up appropriately (green power light on; green signal light on; red rain light on during precipitation). The Irritrol reciever does have a "smart bypass" switch--I think this a manual switch to activate the rain delay--even if it's not raining? What sort of electrical signal should I be able to detect using an ohm meter? If I disconnect the 2 red wires from the rain switch which are currently connected to the jumper terminals, should I be able to detect -/+ continuity depending on dry versus wet?

Many Thanks

o

You can test the rain switch using an Ohm meter. The red wires should be connected to the two 24 vac power terminals, keep them connected. Disconnect the brown and the white wires from the two sensor terminals, these are the switching wires. When the switch is not activated you should have a SHORT condition across those two wires. When the switch is activated, you should read an OPEN condition across those two wires. If it is switching, the problem is the timer, if not the problem is the rain switch. Keep in mind that the Custom Command will override the rain switch in a MANUAL start, also make sure that the Rain Switch Bypass Switch is in the ACTIVE position.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here