Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying sprinkler valve

Posted by bkenobi wa (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 11:54

I have a sprinkler system that the previous owner installed (same old story). The system has been working fine for the last 2 seasons that we have lived in the house. I noticed the other day that one of the sprinkler heads in a zone that is turned off is weeping a bit, so I wanted to locate which valve was controlling it and repair it. I went around to all the boxes I knew about and manually actuated the sprinklers via the bleed port. I was able to locate 7 of the 10 valves, but not the one I needed. Well, that's a different problem for another day.

In one zone, the bleed port opened the valve and the sprinklers turned on. When I turned the bleed plug back, the flow did not stop. I opened the valve and checked the diaphragm and everything looked good. There is a screen on the supply side of the diaphragm but it doesn't look serviceable. After reassembly, the valve still runs full open. I assume that the solenoid is toast at this point and was hoping to replace it, but it doesn't look like it is removable. Can anyone help ID this valve so I can find parts? I have other pictures if a different view would help.

The primary features are:
* a bleed port in the center of the feed side diaphragm
* bleed port screw looks much like Toro
* solenoid that cannot be removed
* valve has 4 screws

Most of my sprinklers are Toro. The controller is Rain Brid. I have at least 3 different types of valves, so I assume the installation took place over time. The house was built in 1984, so the sytem could be up to 30 years old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying sprinkler valve

One more picture.

Warning label on solenoid has a part number: 9-6523 or 9-652S

This post was edited by bkenobi on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:02

o

I can't identify the valve for you, if it were mine, I would swap it out with a new one.

On your other issue, I would buy some type of a wire identification system, the one I use is a Sperry product. It has a transmitter, which is attached to the wire you are tracing and a small receiver, that emits a tone when the wire you are trying to find is in close proximity or touches it.

This device is very handy in electrical debugging.

Good luck!

o

FWIW, I did eventually identify this valve. The bypass appeared identical to the Toro models and I have all Toro sprinklers. I found that it appeared to match Toro 53380 (264-06-03). This was confirmed by a HD Fowler who actually had a replacement in stock. I replaced the guts and everything works fine now.

It appears that the reason for the failure was that there must have been a pin on the bleed port internal to the valve. When I cracked the bleed screw, that pin must have been washed away/sheared off. In any case, the bleed screw was no longer capable of sealing the valve for whatever reason.

Oh, and I located the last 3 valves by determining approximately where the would likely be and having my wife turn them on and off to actuate the solenoid. After a few clicks, I was able to hear and locate them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here