Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1/4 or 1/2 toro tubing for 8X4 raised bed

Posted by frodiggs NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 12:33

starting my first raised bed and wanted to explore the toro blue srtipe tubing system. bed is '8X'4 x '2.5 high. The location gets 5-6 hours or direct sun. summers are 80-100 here.

1/4 tube looks really thin. should i do 1/2? Home depot has more stuff for 1/2. there is a boxed kit that has some flag micros etc.- thought of adding something to get water up top as well.

ideally i'd love to flip a lever and have my nutes added from a bucket or sorts on demand. might add a timer, not sure if they have that skip days. i.e. water every other day.

anyway wanted some feedback on the tubing size. raised bed is taller than most and with the slight gaps inthe wood i think it'll dry out much faster. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1/4 or 1/2 toro tubing for 8X4 raised bed

fd,

Raised beds are not that high, at least, not enough to worry about. 2.5 feet high equates to a drop in pressure of 1 psi. Here is some product data for Toro blue striped irrigation tubing. It as some UV protection which is a plus and good pressure ratings. You might only be able to purchase it in 500 foot lengths. There is a tube with emitters built in but they were 18" apart. You may find tubing with closer spacing. Check this link.

http://media.toro.com/CatalogDocuments/Product Literature/ALT007_BlStrpR_WEB.pdf

Aloha

o
RE: 1/4 or 1/2 toro tubing for 8X4 raised bed

Two options you have are the 1/2" line with 1/4" lines going to each plant or you can connect the 1/2" line to a 1/2" line with built in emitters for the bed itself. netafim makes lines with emitters at 6",12",18" and 24" spacing. You can check all their products at http://www.netafimusa.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here