Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oscillating sprinklers that stop oscillating

Posted by Mary4b 4b WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 12:41

Hi folks,
I keep buying more expensive oscillating sprinklers, and they always stop oscillating. I thought maybe it was due to our low water pressure, but we had our house replumbed and now have great water pressure...and they still don't oscillate.
Any ideas on how to repair them?
Any ideas why they work great when they are new, and then they stop oscillating?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oscillating sprinklers that stop oscillating

No. But I have the same problem. And what's worse, is I have my oscillating sprinkler on a timer set to turn on when I'm at work. It gets stuck to one side and that is the only part of the vegetable garden that gets watered. This is third oscillating sprinkler I've purchased. Each time I've moved up to a more expensive one thinking that would guarantee that it would keep on oscillating. But that theory didn't hold up. Now I'm looking for a different sprinkler solution for the garden. I hope some one answers you question because I'd like to know, too.

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 21:59

Get a tube of silicon grease and lubricate the plastic cam and follower (The part that makes sprinkler oscillate) Also the seals/bearings, on the ends of oscillation tube need to be lubricated. Mind, this will only extend service a season or two. They are built with sales in mind, not use.

o

Fix for oscillating sprinklers that have stopped oscillating!

I have been able to get my plastic oscillating sprinklers to oscillate again by soaking it in white vinegar. I was so relieved to not lose my $80 investment in two of these sprinklers.

In order to use the least amount of vinegar as possible, I took the base off of the sprinkler and only submerged the portion of the sprinkler containing the gears (near where the sprinkler attaches to the hose) by filling a small container with white vinegar. I let them soak overnight.

I have no idea whether there could be side effects of the vinegar on the plastic. The sprinkler looked fine and performed like new again.

o

i once took a box of non working sprinklers back to walmart where i bought them and took them to the manager. i got my money back. if you have a nelson email them and tell them the problem. i told them i had been using nelson sprinklers for many years but the one i had stopped working. they sent me a higher end sprinkler, the "metal" model (the base is metal, not the gears). that was two years ago. i complained today about that one going bad and they are sending me another. the problem may be the plastic gears wearing down. using metal gears or a worm drive would probably help. john

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here