Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inline PVC check valve problem

Posted by ylmzm California (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 12:43

I have a liquid fertilizer injection assembly before a set of rainbird drip irrigation valve assemblies. To prevent fertilizer from going back into the rest of the irrigation system, I added a PVC check valve just before the injection assembly (FYI: there is a separate RPZ backflow preventer at the beginning of the irrigation system).

The problem is that there is very little water coming out of the check valve. It is probably about than 1 GPM. The size of the PVC line and the inline PVC check valve is 1 inch. The pressure on the main line side of the check valve is about 90 PSI, so there is definitely enough pressure to open check valve. I cannot figure out what the problem is. The whole assembly is cemented very close to fit into a valve box, so I may have to cut and throw the whole injector assembly if I cannot find what the problem is.

My guess is that something got stuck in the inline check valve and it prevents water flow. Is there any way to verify/find what the problem is? I just added the PVC lines and the whole assembly and my first trial failed as described above.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inline PVC check valve problem

For anyone who may have the same problem, I am answering my own question:

The problem turned out to be the wrong type of check valve. I used an inline spring type check valve, and it was the wrong type for the application. Maybe because of the design of the valve, due to high water pressure, the valve first opened and then it was pushed so much forward that it closed the pipe opening and restricted the water flow. I will be replacing it with a swing type check valve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here