Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soaker hose vs. other drip irrigation methods

Posted by bgaviator Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 12:55

I was at Lowes the other day and bought a 75 ft long soaker hose. I thought I would just run this along the base of my tomato plants.

I have also been doing a lot of research on drip irrigation using the plastic tube lines with drippers attached.....would drippers placed just where each tomato plant is be better, or will this soaker hose do just fine?

Also, I bought a digital hose timer...but I am not sure for tomatoe plants how many times a week, and for how long I should run it using this soaker hose. Thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soaker hose vs. other drip irrigation methods

Mr. Big Aviator,

To fly you need to know the pressure and flow rate(gpm) of your water source. Otherwise you are flying in the dark without instruments. If you need help to get that info let me know, I can help. Aloha

o
RE: Soaker hose vs. other drip irrigation methods

I use drip tape I purchased at www.dripirrigation.com . Their tech reps are very helpful and patient.

It has an emitter every 12 inches. I space the tape 12 inches apart. This is enough to water most everything I grow, although in hot weather, the germination will be sparse or slow between the emitters. Each emitter drips .4 gallons per hour.

Here is a picture I took in May: http://www.meetup.com/Pueblo-Healthy-Eating-and-Gardening/photos/938896/16680165/#15408987

The system costs about 10 cents a square foot to set up.

I don't use a timer, but I'd recommend one simply to turn it off if you forget.

If you want help off the forum, email me at gershon_ben_franja@yahoo.com . Please use a subject that includes the words drip irrigation so I don't confuse it for spam. It will help to have a picture of your garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here