Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I about to make a big mistake?

Posted by modern_miss 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 12:58

I'm about to remove a corner of my lawn to create a patio (out of decomposed granite) and flower bed (see sketch).
The guy who is doing the work with me says we don't need to move or add sprinklers - that the current (old) configuration is fine (he's inexperienced though). It means however that I will be wasting water by watering the new patio - and getting patio furniture wet every time the sprinklers go off. The pipes run north to south. Do you see any way to tweek the existing system so I don't get the flower bed (which will be on drip) and the patio wet? I drew in the existing sprinklers. I'm only concerned about the sprinklers that are closest to the new patio and flower bed. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I about to make a big mistake?

mm,
Decomposed granite does not hold up well when wet and walked on. I am surprised you didn't go for a more hard surface that can take water (rain). Make sure the contractor has a good slope that drains water off well and doesn't pond on the surface. I would plug the middle sprinklers and irrigate with just perimeter heads that shoot away from the patio. It looks like you have more than enough coverage and can do without the center ones. Just use half circles and quarter circles to make your coverage. I have a feeling that after awhile the DG patio will eventually be covered with pavers or flagstone. JMHO Aloha

o

Thanks Lehua.
OK. Thanks - I'll do that. We don't get a lot of rain, so I hope we'll be okay. Do you happen to know whether there are sprinklers that will spray three-quarters of a circle? I'm new to irrigation...
Thanks again.

o

mm,

Yes, They are called adjustable type that can range to whatever degree of circle you need. aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here