Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK to cap off a inground sprinkler head???

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 13:28

Due to changes in our garden, I have a couple of sprinkler heads that are unneeded. Can I just take out the sprinker head and just cap it off? What I wonder about is that water would not be expelled from that line when the system is blown out at the end of the season and that the water would freeze and break the line. Or should I extend the line up, cap it and remove the cap when it is time to blow out the lines?

Similarly, I have 'lost' one of my sprinkler heads - it did not come out this spring and I don't know close enough where it is. No wet ground to give a clue either. Will abandoning this head give the same problem as above?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK to cap off a inground sprinkler head???

it won't hurt to cap them off. even if they are at hte end of the line the air will blow enough water out of the lines so that if it freezes it should not harm the pipe. if they are not a the end of the line, then it really won't matter cause the water will blow right past them.

as far as the lost head, it must be clogged or you would see the wet spot. again it should not really hurt.

o

Hello.

I have a follow up question regarding your post. I also have unwanted sprinkler heads that I would like to cap off. I would also like the ability to use them again, although I have no plans to do this. I have a Toro GreenKeeper system. Can I buy some sort of screw on cap that takes the place of the screw on sprinkler Heads?

Also, my system has so much pressure that much water is wasted by a high pressure mist that gets blown away and evaporates into the air. Can I reduce the pressure or buy other heads to prevent this?

Thank you very much.

o

You can reduce the pressure with a pressure regulator. You can also check out this link about capping off a sprinkler head: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-cap-off-a-sprinkler-head.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here