Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff256_gw

Irrigating from large lake

jeff256
16 years ago

Some questions on lake pump for irrigation (please). I'm an engineer and pretty handy with anything electrical and most mechanical, but have a few questions from those who have done this before. Some of the "professional" jobs in the area have been terrible and they charge about $1200 to install a $400 pump without the electrical connection (which I will handle). They then charge $550 per zone. With more zones required because of the pump, this can come to $5000 - $7000. Don't mind someone making a very decent profit, but ...

- What brand of pump is recommended. I see a lot of aermotor 2HP's, but I've seen a Berkeley stainless steel model (although expensive). Would run 220V. About a 5' lift from lake to pump, about 120' to farest head.

- Best method of putting pipe into lake. I assume some sort of el on the end to get the intake out of the mud. Maybe some strainer before it goes into pump.

- Might like to install a lower pressure pump for soakers, etc. Can multiple pumps share one intake (assuming only one runs at a time, of course)

Any advise or thoughts would be appreciated.