Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sizing a pump for Drip Irrigation - Can I use a 1.5 HP, 2" outlet

Posted by MattByc 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 14:02

Sizing a pump for Drip Irrigation - Can I use a 1.5 HP, 2" outlet to pump RO treated water to my plants?

I have two 330 gallon tanks, filling with RO treated water. Each has a 2" outlet. I want to set up an automatic drip irrigation system for 200 potted plants in 15-gallon containers.

The rise would be at least 2 feet. I figure that I would set leads from the tanks into a pump which could then push the water through drip irrigation tubing up to the plants. I am very cautious and afraid to get started. I assume each drip emitter will be 1-4gph, and I would like to water for less than an hour.

So, I have a used pool pump, 1.5 HP with 2" inlet/outlet. Can I just hook this up to the tanks and turn it on? Would downsizing the outlet to a 1" drip line cause the water pressure to blow out? I can water the plants in sections if necessary.

My alternate option would be to use a 0.5HP 1" pump.

Useful links I perused before posting:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/water/msg091434518780.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/water/msg0112244728509.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sizing a pump for Drip Irrigation - Can I use a 1.5 HP, 2" ou

MB,

Here is how I would look at this problem.

1. What is the water demand per day or week for your plants at maturity? My general estimate is about 1.0 gal per plant per week. If very arid climate say1.5 gal per week for 200 plants is 300 gal per week. That is equivalent to one of your tanks which is good storage capacity. Do you produce 300 gal per week in rainfall?

2. You need to find out the flow and pressure of your 1.5 HP pump. The outlet size does not matter at this point. The smaller the pipe size the more velocity in the pipe. Velocity is only harmful when it exceeds 5 fps and can cause water hammer(blowouts). You can look up a 1.5 hp pump that is similar to yours on Google and see what the pressure is. The pressure is important because you are using it directly for drip.

3. Size a pump that would put out 150 gals for 25 mins. That would be a 6-10 gpm pump with 10-15 psi operating pressure. I bet your pool pump would be a lot more than that. You probably would need a pressure reducer on you pool pump. and gate valve to restrict flow.

4. Let us know what you find out or have more questions.

5. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here